Cameras in France

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
chunky butt

Re: Cameras in France

Post by chunky butt »

On our trip up to Paris to watch the rugby, my son was using waze, and I had trusty old tomtom on, and together we didn't miss any fixed cameras, or the two camera cars, and a hand held device. Mind you still early days, and I cringe every time we get a mail delivery :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I think they cut your head off if you use that kit in France, or has the law changed.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Probably Richard, but you've got to try and out wit them somehow :lol:
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

chunky butt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:31 pm On our trip up to Paris to watch the rugby, my son was using waze, and I had trusty old tomtom on, and together we didn't miss any fixed cameras, or the two camera cars, and a hand held device. Mind you still early days, and I cringe every time we get a mail delivery :lol:
This is the type of situation that I find absurd, you obviously was on the look out for Plod, you have two units as to record progress and warnings yet you "may" still get something!!!.

I think it should be fairly obvious for most people if they are doing speeds at which they feel might cause a issue, being 6-7 KPH over is not justifiable for fines of which I have seen spoken of.

I mainly ride in the UK on remote country lanes or greenlanes to avoid the nonsense, I wonder if they have in France like they have rolled out in Essex the "Neighborough hood speed watch teams", basically locals with speed guns and clipboards doing the informing on behalf of the Police, not sure if this is a UK wide thing or not? :roll:..

I would still be intrigued to see if the DVLA are handing over UK drivers details to European countries post 2020 to allow fines etc to be collected?.

I am off now to shout at people walking to close to my wall!!!!.... :shock:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The only crime is getting caught...
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

I don't really get the moaning and griping about another countries laws and ways of doing things. If you live in the country and pay your taxes then, you have every right to complain (assuming you didn't vote for the party that introduced them), but visitors should suck it up.

Either you don't speed and don't get caught, or speed and take your chances. If you do speed, and do get caught, then shut up - it was your own fault!

I have sped and not bought a Vignette (Switzerland and Austria) and have been lucky. I still speed as bit, but not as much as taking in the view is more important, though have gone bazai on occasion. If something drops through the post it's all down to me.

I used to drive from Edinburgh down the A68 then A697 over the border to Englandshire, there were, at one time 13 speed cameras on the Scottish side of the border, less than 50 miles. Now that is stupid.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

HoboBeemer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 pm I wonder if they have in France like they have rolled out in Essex the "Neighborough hood speed watch teams", basically locals with speed guns and clipboards doing the informing on behalf of the Police
Actually we have the exact opposite! There is a nation-wide anti-establishment conspiracy to warn fellow drivers of speed traps! And it works very well.

If les flics (the gendarmes) have set up a radar gun ahead, then you will be flashed by those on the other side who have seen it, to warn you that the cops are waiting. And it's your job to flash oncomers once you have passed through the trap yourself.

I've probably avoided dozens of tickets thanks to this system, and hopefully helped others in the same way. I very much doubt that any full-blooded frenchman would collude with the police to catch speeders. They'd rather give up garlic than nark on their fellow speeders!

These british neighbourhood watch speed snitches are horrible sub-urban middle-class 'disgusted-of-tonbridge-wells' types who do nothing risky or exciting with their own lives and hate the idea of anyone else doing it.

While we're on the subject, you might like this prank video (although I'm not sure if it's all exactly genuine). Funny though:

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

good point on the one way ticket transfer --France to England and the DVLA--now that we are out, or coming out, will that system still apply--I would think not?
onefortheroad

Post by onefortheroad »

I hear that Deux Sevres (79 ) is reinstating the max 90 klms per hr limit. Only on 246 klms of their RN,so far.

Return to “TRAVEL”