TET in Northern or Central France

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
laughing_mole

TET in Northern or Central France

Post by laughing_mole »

I'm looking to explore the TET in Northern France in early September for a week.

I've got a CRF250 Rally and used it a few times in Salisbury plain. I don't have much off-road experience so I would like a gentle introduction to the TET... :D But I'd also like to get some interesting scenic trails.

Are the northern tracks very muddy/tough/uninteresting? Would it be better for me to take some tarmac down and join the TET further south in the Massif Central say? Is it easier to rough camp down there anyway?

I'm looking to travel light and have a Kriega OS-Base setup with two 18L soft bags sat lowish on the side. Any dos and don'ts from those who;ve done some of the French TET?

Thanks!
Tramp

Re: TET in Northern or Central France

Post by Tramp »

Id post the same question on the tet forum or facebook page.... Also look at the ride reports.

BUT Northern France is generally dry in september with conditions like soithern uk... High foliage lol.. Some say the north is boring... Its not the villages are charming... The south is hot hot in september and ruff and knarly..

Have fun.. Take care and ride it as it comes..
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I' ve done only little bits of the N France TET plus some other bits in the N, difficult to remember which from memory was TET, it was enjoyable on the 640A, with only limited experience I definitly would not rule it out, there is no reason to stick to it religiously anyway. I did jib here and there and went proper stuck at one point near Camembert as I remember and near a well known Tiger. There are no doubt better places to trail ride but wherever most us will ever go that will always stay true. If after a day or so it seems uninteresting break it up with a bit of road work make your way South, but consider generally elevation/slopes mean the trails will be more difficult . Go see I bet you'll enjoy wherever yo go. Bon Route.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

I can't help with specific advice on the TET in northern France but I've done a fair amount of the routes from the Auvergne southwards.
Just spent 5 days on section 2 ( i think that's the number) from Bort les Orgues following the Dordogne valley then down through Cantal, Aveyron , Millau bridge and into the Tarn. Its been bloody fantastic, some of the best trails I've ever done. However I wouldn't describe it as a gentle introduction to the TET , there's a few challenging sections on a loaded up bike but they very much add to the whole experience..great fun !

Yes there's certainly opportunities for free camping ( be sure to use the term ' bivouac' in french as camping implies a longer stay ) Plenty of forest but it really depends where you end up at the end of the day and what's around obviously. There's plenty of campsites anyway which are nearly all good. I like the camping municipale, usually around 9 euros a night.

You're certainly on the right line with a lightish bike and luggage setup. If you've only got a week in September, which is a great time to visit btw, then it won't be practical to go to far south so I think your idea of northern France will be a good introduction even if it may not have the spectacular scenery and challenging trails.

Good luck whatever you decide, be sure to post on how you get on.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nico-D wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:50 pm I can't help with specific advice on the TET in northern France but I've done a fair amount of the routes from the Auvergne southwards.
Just spent 5 days on section 2 ( i think that's the number) from Bort les Orgues following the Dordogne valley then down through Cantal, Aveyron , Millau bridge and into the Tarn. Its been bloody fantastic, some of the best trails I've ever done. However I wouldn't describe it as a gentle introduction to the TET , there's a few challenging sections on a loaded up bike but they very much add to the whole experience..great fun !

Yes there's certainly opportunities for free camping ( be sure to use the term ' bivouac' in french as camping implies a longer stay ) Plenty of forest but it really depends where you end up at the end of the day and what's around obviously. There's plenty of campsites anyway which are nearly all good. I like the camping municipale, usually around 9 euros a night.

You're certainly on the right line with a lightish bike and luggage setup. If you've only got a week in September, which is a great time to visit btw, then it won't be practical to go to far south so I think your idea of northern France will be a good introduction even if it may not have the spectacular scenery and challenging trails.

Good luck whatever you decide, be sure to post on how you get on.
Nick, you are fast becoming the lead authority on TET in France. Love the way you just fuck off and do these trails on your own. Maybe you should become the next 'Le Wichita Linesman'?
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

May or may not be useful for you. I did a bit of the TET in France couple of years back over a week. From Dieppe south. Ride report, pics and video here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44754
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

laughing_mole

Post by laughing_mole »

What a great video - thanks for sharing.
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

We did the tet last year from Orleans right down to the south. Based on experience of others we missed the northern section out, it's often said its very flat, field boundaries that kind of thing.
From Orleans it just got better and better. For reference, we rode 8 days straight not veering from the tet route and we'd have needed another day to make Nice which is just where we fancied going. They were tough days and we were trying quite hard so you may or may not make as much ground as you imagine.

I was also on a rally as it happens, great choice for that trip

Good luck

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

laughing_mole

Post by laughing_mole »

Thanks for all the suggestions - looking forward to it! Hoping for some dry weather - perhaps a bit cooler than at the mo... :shock:

Return to “TRAVEL”