Anyone ridden the Himalayas?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Slowlycatchymonkey

Anyone ridden the Himalayas?

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

End of September I’m riding through the Himalayas and landing up at base camp Everest. It’s an organised trip so there’s not a lot of thinking needed regards where to stay and what direction to ride. I don’t know the route except we start in Nepal then cross over into Tibet, I’ve kinda assumed there’s only one obvious road and that’ll be the one I’m travelling on!
Anyone here any experience of riding the Himalayas or similar? Any pearls to share?
Whippet

Re: Anyone ridden the Himalayas?

Post by Whippet »

If you want to avoid illness, make sure you take altitude sickness tablets and my advice would be to eat vegetarian, Dahl and roti bread are a good idea, stay away from any meat 😱. The food is great and lots of choice.
I was there in September 18 and was a trip of a lifetime 👍 you won’t forget it . Have a good one.
Slowlycatchymonkey

Thanks @Whippet. I heard “avoid meat” but had forgotten all about it. Annoyingly I’m a coeliac so wheaty options are off the menu, I’m told that won’t be a problem and there’s always options available but I won’t pretend I’m not fearful of an accidental dosing giving me shall we say difficult riding conditions! :shock:

I’ll be there over that date. What was the weather like? I understand monsoon season may not be over?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Is this the tour you're going on?

https://www.nepalhighlandtreks.com/ever ... -tour.html

Looks amazing. One of my dream trips. One day, maybe.

Have a fantastic time. :D
Slowlycatchymonkey

daveuprite wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:45 am Is this the tour you're going on?

Thanks I will definitely remember it even if it’s not all fun :D It’s not that one (which looks like good value) Im leaving a bit earlier on the 12th Sept and back on the 30th and it’s 11 days riding in total (I think) I’m going with Steph Jeavons who’s taking the first group of all women riders to Everest, couldn’t turn my nose up at that 👍
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 pm
daveuprite wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:45 am Is this the tour you're going on?

Thanks I will definitely remember it even if it’s not all fun :D It’s not that one (which looks like good value) Im leaving a bit earlier on the 12th Sept and back on the 30th and it’s 11 days riding in total (I think) I’m going with Steph Jeavons who’s taking the first group of all women riders to Everest, couldn’t turn my nose up at that 👍
Oh that'll be great. I met Steph when she passed through France on her return from her around-the-world trip. You'll make some history too. Brilliant.
Dave XT Yam

Post by Dave XT Yam »

I'm looking to do a similar trip next year, I'd be interested to hear from Whippet or others who have experience - when is best time to go? what to look out for? what gear is best?

Thanks Dave
Daithelimp

Post by Daithelimp »

This is definately something I'm really looking to do so shall be following this post closely.

If anyone could reccomend some good companies offering kathmandu to base camp and maybe Lhasa too, I'd be really interested.
gspod

Post by gspod »

Daithelimp wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:43 pm This is definately something I'm really looking to do so shall be following this post closely.

If anyone could reccomend some good companies offering kathmandu to base camp and maybe Lhasa too, I'd be really interested.
Nomadic knights
Daithelimp

Post by Daithelimp »

8-) have you done a tour with them?

Return to “TRAVEL”