International driving permits

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Mike54

Re: International driving permits

Post by Mike54 »

Can we all just be very clear that all these are MAYBE, MIGHT, COULD. Just proceed as normal until we know for sure.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Mike54 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:19 am Can we all just be very clear that all these are MAYBE, MIGHT, COULD. Just proceed as normal until we know for sure.
If it was me, I wouldn't 'proceed as normal' if I was planning a trip in the first few weeks after March 29th. If we do leave without a deal then 'until we know for sure' will likely see a backlog of whatever alternative form filling, etc that could cause at least some delays and even a few days if your on a time limited trip will be annoying. Whatever happens, it will get sorted eventually but that won't be huge consolation if you have to postpone/cancel a trip in the immediate aftermath.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Mike54 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:19 am Can we all just be very clear that all these are MAYBE, MIGHT, COULD. Just proceed as normal until we know for sure.
The point is, if there were any degree of competence in our political class, we would know already.

Most people here can take that 'proceed as normal' approach fi they are just talking about holidays. People who have to drive for a living abroad have been left without a clue, and would therefore do very well to prepare for the worst.

On the Now Show this am, they said. "The people of a nation who hate change have voted for the biggest change ever on the assumption that nothing would change. Now however, it appears that everything has changed, and things will have to change as a result."

A perfect summary...
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

crofty wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:34 pm Got a trip planned to the Balkans in May. My research is telling me that Montenegro and Albania might need a IDP nowadays.
When i got to the post office the person there said the latest Gov advice is to get one for all Europe as after brexit UK licences may not be recognised. just wondered if you thought this was more Project Fear ?
We didn't need one but that was 5 years ago, you may get more up to date personal knowledge on Horizons Unlimited but any doubts and I would get one just incase.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

when I used to go `abroad`, years ago, it was all part of the excitement and fun .. GB sticker, Green Card, E111 (then), travel insurance, intnl breakdown cover, Passport, Liras. F Franks. DMs, headlight thing, (but no visas), maps, phrase book, wife, panniers, bathing trunks, tent .. so, actually it is all not so onerous .. just that now. it is unfamiliar and would possibly be lumped into one single chaotic start period!

But this is the fault of the UK and the EU as our country is part of a business bargaining chip in a vicious game of blink poker.

To strengthen Mrs May's poker hand, project fear has spread to all minor aspects of `updating` goverment info (read `propaganda`) … including `valid` procurements of ferries and `sensible` testing of road route problems :roll: :roll:

Unfortunately, this is causing untold Mayhem amongst us, especially as `what you wish for` in you bluff card hand, May come true!

Personally, I believe a deal will be reached and all this consternation will fizzle out, even tho leaving a bitter fizzy taste .. and peace and harmony will prevail.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Trev wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
If it was me, I wouldn't 'proceed as normal' if I was planning a trip in the first few weeks after March 29th. If we do leave without a deal then 'until we know for sure' will likely see a backlog of whatever alternative form filling, etc that could cause at least some delays and even a few days if your on a time limited trip will be annoying. Whatever happens, it will get sorted eventually but that won't be huge consolation if you have to postpone/cancel a trip in the immediate aftermath.
Can I suggest that you take off your tinfoil hat and store it somewhere appropriate
Trev

Post by Trev »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Can I suggest that you take off your tinfoil hat and store it somewhere appropriate

[/quote]

:? ? I was trying to be helpful, what's the tin foil hat shite about?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The real disgrace is that our useless Government still can't tell us what will or won't be needed.

They are now using Google Maps in a desperate attempt to work out where lorry parks can be situated around major ferry ports. I would politely point out that IT'S A BIT FUCKING LATE IN THE DAY TO BE DOING THAT!

It's a crisis of their own making, and they can't cope even though they've had two years to prepare.

Frankly, the idea of this country 'going it alone' is terrifying to me. We have a political class that is not fit to govern.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

It seems pretty simple to me. If YOU think that YOU might need an IDP or be better having one when you travel, get one.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

A bit like Brexit then....? :roll:

Return to “TRAVEL”