Getting my bike down to Folkestone from Scotland

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
[email protected]

Re: Getting my bike down to Folkestone from Scotland

Post by [email protected] »

Hi
If you know someone closer to Folkestone have you thought of using a courier? we have found them cheap to transport from the Isle of Wight up north.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

The problem with doing the UK in a day is that you need a nights sleep either before or after you get to the tunnel (in either direction of travel), so you may as well take an overnight ferry. If you take a van down the journey will be even longer.

I did a loop last year and went across to N Ireland (from Ayrshire) and down, then to Cherbourg overnight; though the ferry was from Rosslare which made for a very long day. Dublin is an easy ride from Belfast or Larne, which is great as it's usually raining.

Return trip was Zeebrugge to Hull, then back up to Ayrshire with lunch at Tan Hill.

The advantage of the loop is avoiding backtracking.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

How about riding to Portsmouth, you do have a big comfortable bike after all, get an overnight ferry to St Malo. A meal, a nice sleep in a cabin, ready to ride in France in the morning.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Just get a Premier Inn, B&B or whatever on the way down and make it two shorter days but away from a big town so cheaper.
Less stress and less cost.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
crofty

Post by crofty »

If you are on a budget you will not do it any cheaper than riding down. It wouldn't be any better taking the bike in a van because you have all the logistics of pick up/drop off etc, same with a courier and plenty of things to go wrong and delay you.
450 miles to Ashford 9/10 hours with stops, book the Travelodge now you might get it for 30/40 quid. 50 quid for petrol. Food and a few beers when you get there 30/40 quid. Relax have a good nights sleep and good breakfast, 12/15 miles in the morning down to the tunnel. You'll have a whole days riding in France in front of you. No brainer.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Can't imagine it will be abetter journey in a van. You'll use more fuel and any traffic and you are stuck. Although filtering with panniers etc
probably isn't ideal either. Why not stay off the main roads and make it a 2 day trip.
Just book an AIRBnB near folkestone and you can catch an early train and have a whole day in France.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I rode one in Europe last year. Beautiful bike. Power everywhere and a lot of it too 8-) . The only thing I didn't like was the vibes through the seat but that might have been unique to the bike I rode :?.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
stramasher

Post by stramasher »

We are doing Folkstone/Tunnel for the1st time this year. Usually Portsmouth if Spain, Newcastle for most other places)

We leave after work and get across the border to some pre-booked accom. Then batter down the next day having despatched at least a 100+ miles to take the "edge" off the tedious journey.

Will do the same this time as our ferry is about 5pm the following day then a 30 mile ride in France to booked accom in StOmer.

I'm always buzzing heading south, TBH the only chore is coming back up the road.

I thought you would say you had some fairly packed-up single banger, but a brand new MultiStrada FFS! Piece of piss. :)
Salty603

Post by Salty603 »

Thanks for the advice, should of told you i was riding two up on a RGV250 :lol:

Not on a budget to be fair just can't be arsed with the motorway mileage this side of the sun.

Looks like i will be riding down the night before the holiday starts and getting in around four hours worth of riding in, beer and a bed, then getting back up and heading to the chunnel. Might just do a few hours the other side and start my holiday proper the day after.

Reims aint too far away with plenty of establishments to relax and get my head off that motorway malarkey.

Again, thanks !!
herman

Post by herman »

Reims is oft where we end up first day or thereabouts. This is worth a look ImageDSC00222 by herman munster, on Flickr
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “TRAVEL”