Bike delivery UK to Malaga, early March

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Chris S

Bike delivery UK to Malaga, early March

Post by Chris S »

Fly & Ride may do their first Malaga run of the year in early March but of course need the numbers to make it work.
I want to get on it so am spreading the word as he needs bookings confirmed by the end of Jan.
Deliver the bikes to Crawley by March 2nd.
Pick up in Malaga from the 8th.
Comes back ~ a month later but again, can be left at Malaga depot for a few days, afaik. Walking distance from the airport.

Did it a couple of years ago. Works out same cost as Biscay ferry + trans Spain, but saves muchas time and rubber.

Contact F&R
Mike54

Re: Bike delivery UK to Malaga, early March

Post by Mike54 »

Can almost guarantee that roy trevor would be cheaper under the same circs.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Mike54 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 pm Can almost guarantee that roy trevor would be cheaper under the same circs.
This chap?

http://www.roy-trevor-removals.com/aboutus.html
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Thanks for the tip, Mike.
Nearly forgot I asked here.

Quoted £450 one-way all in (+ insurance options) to their depot in Malaga.
Nothing special but includes home collection (unlike Fly&Ride) - handy for those miles from Crawley.
And of course they're going there and back all the time, not once a month in the high season.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

SteveR wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 pm
Mike54 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 pm Can almost guarantee that roy trevor would be cheaper under the same circs.
This chap?

Top tip, would be nice to have the bike dropped off, fly down and spend a few days with my lady and then drop her at the airport pick up my bike and ride home along the TET :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Chris, another benefit of using RT is that they sponsor Paul Bolton, so by using them you'd also be supporting Paul :D
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Brenhden wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 am
This chap?

Top tip, would be nice to have the bike dropped off, fly down and spend a few days with my lady and then drop her at the airport pick up my bike and ride home along the TET :)
Wondering about something like this to do the Portugal ACT as there is one hell of a lot of road miles involved. I've no issues at all with the mileage, but it's more the time saving. As you point out, Home collection and frequent runs down too...

In my case, no lady (or even a wife) involved with the trip! :lol:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

SteveR wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 pm
Brenhden wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 am
This chap?

Wondering about something like this to do the Portugal ACT as there is one hell of a lot of road miles involved. I've no issues at all with the mileage, but it's more the time saving. As you point out, Home collection and frequent runs down too...

In my case, no lady (or even a wife) involved with the trip! :lol:
I know this isn't strictly on topic but Malaga is one of my favourite cities in the world. It's got Roman ruins, a castle, beaches, Picasco museum and superb food.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

I got Roy Trevor (aka: Moving Matters) to transport my bike to their depot near Malaga.
The cost for collection from my place in South London to pick up two weeks later was 520 euro + an optional 60 euro insurance (did not use).
I think they do the run every 10 days or so between their UK hub on Merseyside.
I specified the earliest collection date, a phone number and identified an accessible spot in the nearby park where the lorry could stop, to save jamming itself in our street.
Unfortunately the bus-sized Roy Trevor lorry turned up there anyway without warning 2 days early with my bike still in it’s pyjamas. They’d been given none of my information, just my address.

I led them to the park, packed my bike in a hurry and a couple of weeks later collected it from their depot on the edge of Fuengirola, about 30km down the coast from Malaga towards Algeciras.
The bike was under some blankets and in the same condition I’d left it.
They’d offered a Malaga hotel delivery for another 50 euros, but I figured better go to the bike than possibly wait hours for a van to turn up.

So - all’s well that ends well.

Next time, arriving on a late Easyjet, instead of overnighting in the crumby hinterland near Malaga airport, I’d train straight from the airport station to Fuengirola (30 mins, end of the line; 3 euro), and overnight there.
A taxi from FG train station to the Roy T depot (3.4km) was 9 euro.

I dare say there are other UK-Malaga removalists who could do the same job.

Hope it’s of use to someone. A useful service in winter when the Fly & Rides don't run
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

A bit annoying for the lorry to turn up out of the blue like that.... I would be very pissed, especially if I wasn't about... ! :o

Useful to know the depot is so near to FG. ;) From a quick google, the Taxi from the airport to Fuengirola is 35-40 euros, so if two of you, pretty competitive too for a hassle free transfer.

Return to “TRAVEL”