Argentina Best Routes

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
rodrigoscs

Argentina Best Routes

Post by rodrigoscs »

Hi All.

Flying to Buenos Aires in May for a 3 week holiday and the plan is to rent a bike and see as much as I can on it. Anyone been around and have any recommendations? Routes, best rental places, where to stay...?

Cheers
Bryn

Re: Argentina Best Routes

Post by Bryn »

rodrigoscs wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm Hi All.

Flying to Buenos Aires in May for a 3 week holiday and the plan is to rent a bike and see as much as I can on it. Anyone been around and have any recommendations? Routes, best rental places, where to stay...?

Cheers
Sounds like you're in for a good time! Shameless plug of ABR magazine here... in the current issue there's a piece by a chap called John Apps who spent three weeks riding through Argentina and Chile, having flown in to Buenos Aires. He basically rode across to the Carretera Austral, down to Ushuaia and then back up Ruta 40 - looked like an incredible trip!
rodrigoscs

Post by rodrigoscs »

Bryn wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm
rodrigoscs wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm Hi All.

Cheers
Sounds like you're in for a good time! Shameless plug of ABR magazine here... in the current issue there's a piece by a chap called John Apps who spent three weeks riding through Argentina and Chile, having flown in to Buenos Aires. He basically rode across to the Carretera Austral, down to Ushuaia and then back up Ruta 40 - looked like an incredible trip!
Off to the shop now! :D Cheers Bryn
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Maybe contact Sandra & Javier at Daker Motos www.dakarmotos.com in BA. Whilst they are primarily bike shippers working out of BA airport, they are in my experience incredibly helpful and if anyone can help with bike rental it's probably them. They speak good English, too.

I'd say head west, towards the Andes and Ruta 40, post haste. Maybe take R40 south through the lake District and head towards San Carlos de Bariloche via the Ruta del Siete Lagos (road of the 7 lakes) which is stunning. Then perhaps south again, crossing the Andes into Chile at Chile Chico and back north on the Carretera Austral, in Chile, which is still much unmade - the scenery is staggering. Motocamp near Pucon is worth a stopover.
Or....head north on R40 to Cafayate, then onto to Susques and cross the Andes into Chile at Paso de Jama at nearly 5000m. A bit of a foray into the Atacama and onto Taltal & Pan de Azucar on the Pacific coast, then back into Argentina via one of the passes further south such as Paso de San Francisco, and back to BA via Mendoza.
Try the ioverlander app for places to stay etc.
Buen viaje!

Return to “TRAVEL”