Decisions decisions

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Redmurty

Re: Decisions decisions

Post by Redmurty »

I lay my kit out before a trip and then put half of it away. I make a brew go back and put half of it away again and I still come back with half of it not used.

Fill the bike with petrol and ride simples really, usual checks ....

Bike serviced
Tyres good
rough idea where I'm going
ferry booked
get on bike...........

simples really........ enjoy and wonder what's around the corner....... eat sleep repeat until it's time to get back on the ferry :o

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Redmurty wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 am I lay my kit out before a trip and then put half of it away. I make a brew go back and put half of it away again and I still come back with half of it not used.

Fill the bike with petrol and ride simples really, usual checks ....

Bike serviced
Tyres good
rough idea where I'm going
ferry booked
get on bike...........

simples really........ enjoy and wonder what's around the corner....... eat sleep repeat until it's time to get back on the ferry :o

cheers Spud ;)
Very very true, some of the best holidays we've had have been spur of the moment get aways, if you plan to much, sometimes doesn't come up to expectations.....just do it :D
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Only thing I do is book ferry out, I live 5 miles from ferry port that takes me to Roscoff. The rest is in my head, planned and sorted out but flexible.

Age of bikes...I was using my 84 K100RT.......well serviced and in good order age of bike is irrelevant. My last few ferry trips encountered a high number of car breakdowns in under 5 year old cars. Its like folk are scared to go beyond the local shop if a vehicle is over 3 years old. I have nothing under 15 years old.

Breakdown cover....comes with the insurance, Carole Nash cover older bikes. Worse case scenario they can be fixed easy enough, right down to a clutch failure. Spares at home can be easily accessed. Major failure, just buy another one out there.....

Satnav, never owned one, no idea how to use one. But my head retains stuff and a tank bag, map and a bicycle phone holder inside the fairing instead holds paper notes or my way points. I do bring my trusty map book.

Kit.....well whatever fits in panniers is as much as comes. I have it all in a 60 litre crate. Anything that came on the previous trip and didn't get used doesn't come again. There are shops along the way......

I used bikes for camping since 1974, still keep it simple. No problem if needed to do over 500 miles in a day.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

One thing to think of when setting off on a trip with no return ticket to your home country is your Travel Insurance.

Most policies insist that you have a return ticket booked. Otherwise the policy is null and void. I have personal experience of this from back in 2014.

It doesn’t have to be a ticket from where you are to your home country. Just something to show your intention to return.

Some policies will accept the fact that you have a permanent home, job etc but it is worth checking before you go.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Jaks....

Looking at lofoten May time (ish) weather dependant

If not I'm heading south Northern Spain and into Portugal

I will be going with all my friends ;) (so I'll be alone) but you are welcome to tag along if it gets you back into the touring mode

Method of navigation.... I wonder where that goes or that looks interesting :o :shock: :roll:

I'm looking at a dash down to PIF to play in the French mud for a few days if that intrigues

September it will be Iran or Japan that depends on the swmbo :roll:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Redmurty, May could still be a bit early unless you are sticking to the main (E, boring) roads. ;)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi, thanks for the offer Spud I appreciate it. Unfortunately my travel times are limited by work so I have booked a ticket form Portsmouth to St Malo, returning Santander to Portsmouth. Going April 13th coming back on the 24th. The plan at the moment is to meet a couple of mates somewhere in th middle of France. Then bimble through France and Spain onto see our mate in Portugal. The exact route may depend on the weather, we may do a bit of the TET or may not. There are a lot of dirt roads around the arevof Portugal where our friend lives.
Now all I have to fret about is what riding gear to where and which tent to take.
Cheers Jak
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Well in the end I went. Had a great time, weather varied from a couple of days sunshine to snow at the top of some mountains. Some cracking roads though and a few dirt tracks but not the TET. The Himalayan was great, apart from adjusting the chain I did nothing to it in 2700 miles and it averaged about 85mpg. I will try and do a bit of a write up but am getting ready for the Taffy now.
Cheers Jak

Return to “TRAVEL”