Going to New Zealand-plans, BS and delays

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
OnHellas

Going to New Zealand-plans, BS and delays

Post by OnHellas »

During the last few weeks of our lap of Australia we’d been looking in to shipping to New Zealand for the next stage of our travels.

The company that we’d used for clearance in to Australia quoted us for sea freight from Sydney to Auckland. Crated and then in a container.

Another company said that they would have a shared container that we could make our bikes part of. No crated and considerably cheaper.

I fell for it.....the cheaper bit....every now and again I fall for the price! Bugger!

Ultimately there was no shared container and they just wanted us to use a RoRo service (Roll on, Roll off). No crate, totally empty Panniers. Slightly cheaper again...but the constant offering of extra maritime insurance just put us off.

Moving on....I’d contacted a shipper in New Zealand that I’d found through MotoFreight back in the U.K. re onward shipping from NZ.

They asked if we were sorted for getting to NZ. I’m aware that this is dragging on so I’ll get to today now.

We dropped our bikes off at a Packing company today for crating. Cleaned for the NZ quarantine check as is all of our bike clothing, camping stuff etc etc. Everything is in place, our Carnet’s are with the freight forwarders.

The delay???? Christmas! The packers are closed until the 7th of January from this afternoon.
It appears it could be the 25th of January before our bikes land in NZ.

Bugger! I fell for the price....

So, a week or so of rest and then we can...??
Time to come up with a plan. What to do, where to go?

Return to “TRAVEL”