Empty fuel container on airplane? Possible?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Godspeed

Empty fuel container on airplane? Possible?

Post by Godspeed »

Bit of advice really. Hoping to head to Greece end of March and rent a Honda Innova 125. They only have a sub 4 litre fuel tank and thought it’d be wise to take a couple of extra litres in case I get lost or end up down a track somewhere.
As I’m catching a flight is it possible to take an empty 2 litre fuel container as hold luggage? Or is this frowned upon?
Cheers
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
pinball1008

Re: Empty fuel container on airplane? Possible?

Post by pinball1008 »

New one or one that stinks of fuel?
If a new one it's just a plastic container and should be no issue.
But, why not just use a fizzy drinks bottle? Fill it, use it, bin it then repeat?
Or buy a more solid plastic bottle when you arrive and then use until it's time to come home.
Not all those wandering are lost
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ask the airline.... Or buy one while out there as most fuel stations sell fuel cans... Can you actually carry one on the hire bike?...

Maybe someone on thw tet forum who lives in greece could lend or sell you a fuelfriend..
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I can't imagine why you would do this. Just buy one when you get there if you feel you need it
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Mike54 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 am I can't imagine why you would do this. Just buy one when you get there if you feel you need it
Couple of reasons:
Firstly I already have a 2L one at home so would be a waste to buy another when I get there.
Also size of bike is pretty small so finding a little fuel container may be tricky in the couple of hours I have before picking up the bike.
But thanks for your help 😂
The Meandering Moustache

zimtim

Post by zimtim »

As said why.
I would speak to hire company see if they can't lend you a suitable container for you.

You may though find this some help, if you decide to take one of your own.
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/flying-wit ... ing-stove/

didn't Brenhdan do a similar thing last year
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The price would be what? less than a fiver? There is no possible way an airline will let you take a used fuel container on an aircraft.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

By all accounts an Innove will do 62km per litre of fuel. 3.7 litres on board is 230km or 142 miles.
I don’t know which part of Greece you’re going to but I think you’ll be fine.

Take a good satnav with fuel station locations or download a find fuel app.
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

I have taken a jerry can on a flight to Germany. However, it was brand new and before the increased terrorism awareness of the last few years.

A friend had bought a brand new BMW from a dealer in Germany. Unfortunately, the delivery date coincided with the french farmers having one of their periodic tantrums and barricading motorways etc. We thought that we might make it if we skirted France through Germany, Luxemberg and Belgium, and then followed the motorway parallel to the coast to the tunnel. An extra 20L of fuel gave us a bit of a safety margin.

In the end, we just made it. We crossed the border into France, and passed a convoy of tractors on its way to barricade that motorway. The cars tank lasted to just outside Dover.

The tank we took was brand new, and the lady at the check-in checked for petrol smells, so I am pretty sure it would have been rejected if it had been used. So, I think your chances of getting a used can on a flight are nil.

I don't think that your argument that it would be a waste to buy a new can when you already have one holds water. Whether you take a can or buy one there, you will not be able to bring it home. Either way, it is going to cost you a can.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It’s what I love about this forum, 50% of the advice is useful and the rest is always ‘why would you do that?’ 😂

Anyway, it appears to be the consensus that I’ll not take a fuel container as it seems to be frowned upon.

Once again thanks for the advice gents/ladies
The Meandering Moustache

Return to “TRAVEL”