Scotland to Portugal 2019

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Bustafin

Scotland to Portugal 2019

Post by Bustafin »

Hi all
Looking for advice routes, heading to Portugal early August 2019 for family holiday, they're flying over and I've decided to ride over :D , leaving a few days earlier, initially I've the ferry from cork to Roscoff,France then head to Nantes (booked travel hotel) for the first night, then take 3 or 4 days wild camping where ever possible to reach Albuferia, Portugal
Has anyone done something similar, looking for routes , in particular through the Pyrenees. and Spain, this is also my first time riding abroad (going solo) any tips would be grateful .

thanks
prg4967

Re: Scotland to Portugal 2019

Post by prg4967 »

Best trip I ever had was riding solo to southern Spain...only you and your thoughts and nobody else to worry about, get the bike prep done right and enjoy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RandG

Post by RandG »

best trip I ever did was riding solo through the Pyrenees.

If you're going to Portugal via France there ain't much of the Pyrenees for you to go through it's more the Picos you'll be going though, I've done both and the Pyrenees was my favourite.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

That's a lot of miles to cover in just 3 days. Obviously it's achievable, especially if you're on a Pan or a fast sports tourer, but it will be a bit of a slog on a dual sports bike if that's what you'll be riding, with no time for much off-roading.

And you risk missing out on a lot of great scenery. The west coast route down France isn't the most interesting, but if you built in a couple of more days you'd have a better trip and you could rush the boring bits while spending more time in the good bits. In 3 days you'll have to rush pretty much everything.

Don't mean to be negative, but France and Spain have so much to offer and it seems a shame to miss out.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Go on the ride site and checkout all the routes they have on It, all downloadable to your sat nav, it's what I used for routes in the Picos.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Just a thought you could do Cork to Santander direct, then you would have plenty of time to do Picos and trundle down through Portugal. Some cracking roads and scenery and to be honest, I would leave the tent behind great food and pretty cheap for good accommodation. Whatever you do have a awesome Trip 👍🏻😀
Bustafin

Post by Bustafin »

Thanks for replies, my number days traveling are flexible, and will be taking my 2003 r1150gs, have been on the best biking roads we’d site looking at creating a route linking some of there suggested roads, though think there all tarmac, prob through the centre of spain and head south to Portugal is there any sites that suggest easy off road routes, still to look at a return route as well,depending on leave from work, debating whether to get a ferry or use the tunnel,
Bustafin

Post by Bustafin »

hi all

Just found a route through portugal from north to south called the ACT Portugal by touratech, anyone done this?
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Catalonia, Galicia and the eastern spine of Portugal are well worth the effort. However, I'd take the sting and bum ache out if it any get a ferry to Santander or Bilbao.
Inland Portugal
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I looked at options on Cork Santander route butt he pricing structure is not great.

Plus side is the Cork Roscoff arrives in Roscoff on Sunday morning and usually off it by about 8-8.15am. Nantes by lunchtime even allowing for some stops. There is also a Monday night Cork to Roscoff ferry arrives Tuesday early afternoon.

I have taken to doing the run from the ferry all they way to my destination south east of Perigueux in the same day but have sued plenty of camp sites along the way over the years.

I really enjoy that run down the west side of France and its a pleasant ride with some great stopping places and some excellent non motorway parts that don't cost time.

I live only 5 miles from the ferryport at Cork so other alternatives don't make sense for me.

There is also a service Dublin to Cherbourg every second day. Rosslare is axed. www.irishferries.com
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles

Return to “TRAVEL”