Where did you go in 2018?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Scott_rider

Re: Where did you go in 2018?

Post by Scott_rider »

I've done 7,300 pleasure miles this year on my CBF1000. A bike that on paper I shouldn't really get on with but I just can't keep off it 8-) :)

I've done a lot of small trips to Wales, the South Coast, the Cotswolds, and one big trip through Europe to Croatia and back, taking in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia...and Bosnia :o 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
sven

Post by sven »

My bike has only had one overnight trip away to the Lakes this year as my main holiday was to the States :oops:

A bike was too expensive to hire, but a 485hp V8 Dodge Challenger was fun on the empty roads of California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona 8-)
FE59DF4A-7D64-47C0-A2A5-4986FF0669A4.jpeg
FE59DF4A-7D64-47C0-A2A5-4986FF0669A4.jpeg (132.32 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Then we had a trip to Athens in September for the wife’s 50th. The mountain road up to Delphi was impressive. Pity we were in a bus...
8ADD793C-6726-4349-B925-C56BDA1D32B8.jpeg
8ADD793C-6726-4349-B925-C56BDA1D32B8.jpeg (215.24 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Next year we’re definitely taking the bike abroad as I’ve already booked the ferry to Spain before heading through the Pyrenees and Dordogne to the D-Day 75th anniversary commemorations in Normandy
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I managed about half my plans
I had a weekend over Exmoor, Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor.
10 days on the Black Forest, a few hundred km of the TET UK and a lot of commuting in the sunshine. I got my 12 wild swims and I completed the ride5000 MCN challenge but I missed completing the TET due to a house move.
My CRF Rally has been the hero of the year eating all those miles up with ease.

I know global warming is terrible but if next summer could be as good as this that would he awesome.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

Done a few green lanes around kent , then a trip france spain into portugal stayed at a mates place relaxing thinking only got to get back to bilboa for ferry home easy then this glowing phone in the dark moment dear sir your ferry has been cancelled wtf two days to calais first leg anceriz to dax then dax to calais yep epic ride made the last ferry to dover
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

On the bike (Tiger 800 XRT) just a bimble around northern France for me, enjoyed every mile / Km, though it pissed down the whole time I strayed into Belgium, then stopped as I went back into France...

Ferry to Larne from Cairnryan, then the overnight ferry to Cherbourg from Rosslare.

A big loop around Paris, Bayeux, Aubigny-sur-nere, Troyes, Nancy, Lille (via Luxembourg and Belgium) then Ferry to Hull from Zeebrugge. Stopped off at Hawes for lunch and home. All in 10 days, not one Toll road, loads of wee twisty routes through the Parc's and not one drop of rain landed on me on French soil (though I did have to dodge a rather large shower in Nancy)

The stand out place for me was Troyes, I found it utterly an enchanting but vibrant mix of old and new.

I never cease to be amazed at how the local peoples attitude becomes more helpful and friendly when they find out you are Écossais and not Anglais :lol:

No bike issues but ran out of Scottoil, probably due to the higher temperature, but bought some 3 in 1 to get me home.

Funniest moment was the so called Scottish Pub in Aubigny-sur-nere, no Scottish beer ( but you could have Guinness, Kilkenny, kronenbourg etc.) and the nearest thing to Scottish food was a "Swiss burger", I left.....

Not sure what next year will bring yet as i really need to get on with house renovations. :(
insane-dj

Post by insane-dj »

Nine days around the west coast of Scotland, during the heatwave, the Scots were melting at 30c!

16 days and 16 countries around Europe and the Balkans

France - Germany - Czech Republic - Slovakia - Hungary - Romania - Bulgaria - Serbia - Bosnia - Croatia - Solvenia - Italy - Austria - Switzerland - France - Luxembourg - Belgium - France and home :-)

No winter plans but down to Morocco in late March, ferry booked and route planning now :D
Attachments
jock.jpg
jock.jpg (179.04 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
Euro.jpg
Euro.jpg (188.14 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
scot.jpg
scot.jpg (93.72 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
micksea

Post by micksea »

[quote

I never cease to be amazed at how the local peoples attitude becomes more helpful and friendly when they find out you are Écossais and not Anglais :lol:

[/quote]

I never cease to be amazed that racism towards the English is casually accepted throughout the rest of Europe
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

As a 6’5” Englishman, never had a problem with any anti English attitude anywhere in Europe, especially over the past year or so when they’ve found out I was a Remainer.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Went to Gran Canaria in March, got bored so took a Fiat 500 up into the mountains ....... great fun.
Back in June we bought some walking boots and embarked on our first ever proper walk :o , we did the UK three peaks over 10 days and rode the bikes between. It was my Wife's first time in Scotland on her own bike and included Skye/Applecross etc a great 'holiday'.
A long weekend Welsh trip in August with about 15 bike friends, my Wife's first ride in a big group and she did very well at a 'spirited' pace :shock: .
September was a van/camping trip to the Lake District and some more walking/climbing, more challenging than the 3 peaks and a great achievement for us slightly fat and slightly 50 somethings.
This was the first year in the last 10 that my bike didn't go across the Channel on a long trip and to be honest it was a refreshing change from the slog across France/getting wet through, food for thought over the winter :? .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

planned:-
.. 2 mths france tet .. w/e north wales .. a few days mid wales .. a week cornwall.

actual:-
.. (I day) north wales .. (several days) mid wales trails .. (1 day) pembroke ..
.. (w/e) abr Malvern rally ..
.. (4 days) Salisbury plain/ west woods/ ridgeway/ avebury ..
.. loads of local trails.
.. road bike outing to Weston.

the `plans` were a bit optimistic, on a pension
the `actual` list seems small, but meant going out at every opportunity while the good weather was on

Return to “TRAVEL”