Post Brexit Travel Insurance?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
daveuprite

Re: Post Brexit Travel Insurance?

Post by daveuprite »

HedgeHopper wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 am Screw democracy, eh Dave, the country you left is stupid and didnt vote how you think it should have
Thanks for the insult and up yours matey :lol:
I don't remember insulting you at all, Hedge. Stupidity describes the condition of brexit, not all the people of the UK - obviously. If you can describe the shower going on right now in british politics as anything other than 'stupidity', full marks to you.

As to democracy, let's see...

17.4 million voted to leave
16.14 million voted to remain
12.95 million chose not to vote

If anyone thinks that is a clear unequivocal mandate for a permanent revolution in the way the UK operates, they need their eyes testing.

What is democratic about 37% of the electorate deciding the future for 100% of the electorate, and even for children who haven't been born yet - indefinitely?

What is democratic about a campaign being characterised by lies, distortion, corruption and fraud, and yet the result still stands ?

What is democratic about excluding large proportions of UK citizens from taking part in the referendum?

What is democratic about treating an advisory referendum as though implementing the ultra-narrow result was obligatory?

What is democratic about a government trying its best to prevent parliament from scrutinising vital legislation, to the point where it had to be taken to the High Court to make it do so ?

What is democratic about a small right-wing section of one political party hi-jacking the whole issue for its own gain and holding the government to ransom?

What is democratic about an odd, small, collection of extreme Northern Irish unionists having a veto over the government's negotiating position?

What is democratic about ignoring huge amounts of relevant fresh information that has emerged since May 2016 ?

What is democratic about deciding a vital issue for the UK without any opportunity to revisit that issue, as happens with general elections every 5 years ?

What is democratic about taking a snapshot poll at one point in time and having the result cemented unchangeably regardless of changing information and circumstances?

What is democratic about posing a simplistic binary question when it is obvious that the issue is massively more complex than the question allows for?

What is democratic about asking a question which has at least 20 different answers by means of a question that only has 2 ?

Don't feel the need to answer any of that if you don't want to. We all have other things to be getting on with. I don't really want to open up yet another poor quality debate about brexit on a bikers' forum. But please don't take insult where it was never aimed. Anyway, back to travel insurance....
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

HedgeHopper wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 am Screw democracy, eh Dave, the country you left is stupid and didnt vote how you think it should have
Democracy?

Nobody was given all the facts before the referendum and now we've sleep walked & been hoodwinked into the biggest shit fest ever

Just because of the in-fighting & division within the bloody Tory party

Do you think David Cameron was doing it for the good of the people?

If that's democracy, give me a fecking dictatorship

£39 billion, for what, pray tell me???
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Back to the original topic.

No other nation on earth has an NHS like ours.

There's an element of private insurance in the national health service of most other European nations.

All your E111 entitled you to was the minimum level of care in each EU nation...the actual care provided varied considerably.

Wise people always traveled with insurance to cover repatriation costs etc.

In my day job I had quite a few dealings with families of truck drivers who were injured, taken ill or even died on main land Europe...the level of help available without insurance really didn't amount to much.

Even on the IoM, you will only get emergency treatment...the ambulance etc to get you back to the mainland won't be free.

Be warned.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Gimlet wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm We'll have to do what people going to Morocco etc do and buy cover.

When I ploughed a dirt road with my face in Morocco, I thought...thank goodness I've got medical cover as my helmet filled with stones..

When I (eventually) got to a hospital...guess what...I was seen instantly by a guy who spent ages tending to the three holes in my upper lip before sewing them up.

He refused to take any money at all: not even a 'gift'. No paperwork was completed. No anesthetic either, mind.
Last time I looked Morocco wasn't in the EU yet you got treatment out there.
I once fell ill in Australia (which is not in the EU). I attended the local surgery with my £15 Medicare health insurance card and got treatment the same as everyone else. No money changed hands, no one died, the world did not end, life went on. As it invariably does in the 92% of planet Earth that is not in the EU.

Oh well. that's me out of this forum. I can see the way the wind blows on here and I've had enough of this nonsense elsewhere. Crack on and cheerio.
Bye Gimlet, a short and sweet stay fella! I think you would actually find the wind blows all over the place in fact.... ;)

I too have had to take medical services in the past when abroad, and believe you me, it's one hell of a lot easier with an EHIC card hence my OP. My guess is we will need similar cover to that which we have for the US, but check your medical Insurance policy cover, and very few will cover a rider if off-road if at all!

So who does provide off road cover? And how much?
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

johnnyboxer wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 am
Democracy?

Nobody was given all the facts before the referendum and now we've sleep walked & been hoodwinked into the biggest shit fest ever

Just because of the in-fighting & division within the bloody Tory party

Do you think David Cameron was doing it for the good of the people?

If that's democracy, give me a fecking dictatorship

£39 billion, for what, pray tell me???
Yep technically the most Democratic event in mine and yours voting lifetime, I know it really pisses off those who voted the other way, perhaps move to somewhere where Democracy means whoever moans the loudest gets their way

As for not being given all the facts before voting, well unfortunately crystal balls don't actually work, so I'll putt whinging about not being told what the future holds down on the long list of romaners constant bleating.
I'm sure all the grown ups made there decision on a variety of points, but anyone who thinks the result was undemocratic needs to go do some reading
Richard Simpson Mark II

SteveR wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm We'll have to do what people going to Morocco etc do and buy cover.

When I ploughed a dirt road with my face in Morocco, I thought...thank goodness I've got medical cover as my helmet filled with stones..

When I (eventually) got to a hospital...guess what...I was seen instantly by a guy who spent ages tending to the three holes in my upper lip before sewing them up.

He refused to take any money at all: not even a 'gift'. No paperwork was completed. No anesthetic either, mind.
I once fell ill in Australia (which is not in the EU). I attended the local surgery with my £15 Medicare health insurance card and got treatment the same as everyone else. No money changed hands, no one died, the world did not end, life went on. As it invariably does in the 92% of planet Earth that is not in the EU.

Oh well. that's me out of this forum. I can see the way the wind blows on here and I've had enough of this nonsense elsewhere. Crack on and cheerio.

Bye Gimlet, a short and sweet stay fella! I think you would actually find the wind blows all over the place in fact.... ;)

I too have had to take medical services in the past when abroad, and believe you me, it's one hell of a lot easier with an EHIC card hence my OP. My guess is we will need similar cover to that which we have for the US, but check your medical Insurance policy cover, and very few will cover a rider if off-road if at all!

At the time I was in Maroc, many of the ordinary roads were gravel 'piste' so no differentiation was possible.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to go without cover on the basis of my experience: I suffered 'minor injuries' which they were clearly adept at treating.

I've since been told that a compound fracture for instance would be treated by amputation locally.

Repatriation is the most important thing to have cover for. Get back here, and the NHS will probably treat you...but they won't contribute a £ to your travel.
Richard Simpson Mark II

SteveR wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 am

At the time I was in Maroc, many of the ordinary roads were gravel 'piste' so no differentiation was possible.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to go without cover on the basis of my experience: I suffered 'minor injuries' which they were clearly adept at treating.

I've since been told that a compound fracture for instance would be treated by amputation locally.

Repatriation is the most important thing to have cover for. Get back here, and the NHS will probably treat you...but they won't contribute a £ to your travel.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I wouldn't be surprised once the oneupmanship phase is over there's a reciprocal agreement regarding EHIC cards, upto now when I've been to Europe I've usually used the EHIC plus as a top up for better cover.
Last edited by lancashirelad on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
herman

Post by herman »

I have been using holidaysafe based on recommendations but luckily not had to claim. As to getting the bike home as Mike says on a previous topic then good luck and I have never taken out breakdown/recovery insurance . I will either leave the bike there/torch it/go back with a van ( delete as appropriate).
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

lancashirelad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:42 pm I wouldn't be surprised once the oneupmanship phase is over there's a reciprocal agreement regarding EHIC cards, upto now when I've been to Europe I've usually used the EHIC plus as a top up for better cover.
I live in hope.... on both of your suggestions ;)
Last edited by SteveR on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TRAVEL”