French 80kmh limits

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tramp

French 80kmh limits

Post by Tramp »

Becarefull folks are observing the new limits and all cameras have been changed... Makes for a longer scenic journey on n roads... D roads carry very few cameras unless trunk routes...

Strange thing is most 6 speed gearboxs hate the new speeds lol..
almar

Re: French 80kmh limits

Post by almar »

nightmare when east european truckers are still driving at 90 and seem to be only inches from your rear !
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Tramp wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm Becarefull folks are observing the new limits and all cameras have been changed... Makes for a longer scenic journey on n roads... D roads carry very few cameras unless trunk routes...

Very true that Russ, our car really doesn't like 6th gear at 80km, but a lot of people are sticking to the limits.....90km was bad enough .....hey ho.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Stuck religiously to the new speed limits whilst in France a couple of weeks ago, but still got pulled over by a couple of biking Gendarmes. Two of the guys I was riding with weren’t wearing the right gloves apparently. 30c and had to put on their big CE approved ones. No problem with wearing tee shirt, shorts and flip flops apparently, as long as you have the right gloves to avoid a €90 fine. Thankfully my chums were let off with just a warning, with a parting shot from the Gendarme that the Brits obviously don’t need to wear gloves, as it never rains in the UK. :lol:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Tramp wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm Becarefull folks are observing the new limits and all cameras have been changed... Makes for a longer scenic journey on n roads... D roads carry very few cameras unless trunk routes...

New camera locations as well do you think Russ?
Not that we have the locations in our satnavs... oh no indeed not ;)

Sounds positively painful... Might make the calculation on a ride through France or the ferry to Santander look different...
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

All the old and new cameras have had speed changed to 80 along with signs....dsigns....dual carrigways are still 90.....lots of french ard confused and drive af 70 not 80....also most cars efc with 6 speed boxes are a nightmare....

Lots of road work's on motorways too....the days of riding the scenic back roads at 90 and above are over making for longer days....lots of french are impatient now ...

Things have changed hug hey its only a 3 year trial... :lol:
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

CAN OF BLACK SPAY EVERYONE ........................................the cameras and signs are being defaced round here !!!! don't think the locals like the idea :twisted:
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

The worst bit for average speeds IMO is the plague of 30kph zones in towns etc and the industrial sized speed bumps to go with them :(
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

I have recently returned from France, approaching a main road with solid white line I did a rolling stop prior to turning right. No traffic in sight in either direction and clear view I pulled into the road - 2 bike cops ran into the middle of the road and directed me to the side. Having established that I was not fluent in French, they informed me that I had not put my foot down at the stop and as such would be fined E90. I protested that there was a clear line of sight and no traffic in either direction, tough "you must stop and put your foot down". Would I like to pay now or should they send the bill to my home address.

Their love letter arrived 2 weeks later - in French and quite difficult to decipher ! It would have been easier to have payed up there and then. They were quite excited at the prospect of sending the fine to my home address, this is something new - does anyone know what has changed to facilitate this new method ? :?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

roberteagle6 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 pm I have recently returned from France, approaching a main road with solid white line I did a rolling stop prior to turning right. No traffic in sight in either direction and clear view I pulled into the road - 2 bike cops ran into the middle of the road and directed me to the side. Having established that I was not fluent in French, they informed me that I had not put my foot down at the stop and as such would be fined E90. I protested that there was a clear line of sight and no traffic in either direction, tough "you must stop and put your foot down". Would I like to pay now or should they send the bill to my home address.

Their love letter arrived 2 weeks later - in French and quite difficult to decipher ! It would have been easier to have payed up there and then. They were quite excited at the prospect of sending the fine to my home address, this is something new - does anyone know what has changed to facilitate this new method ? :?
Not sure about the issue of being sent the fine by letter to the UK, but I do know that les flics are policing stop junctions. We have one locally (solid white line / stop sign) and a pair of gendarmes sometimes hide out waiting for a driver/rider to roll out of the junction without performing a full stop. Typically pedantic of traffic police the world over I suppose, but one to watch out for if you're riding over here.

To make absolutely sure you don't get nicked, I suggest you stop at the junction, get off the bike, roll a fag, get out a picnic hamper and have a lie down...

Return to “TRAVEL”