French 80kmh limits

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
PHILinFRANCE

Re: French 80kmh limits

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

"To make absolutely sure you don't get nicked, I suggest you stop at the junction, get off the bike, roll a fag, get out a picnic hamper and have a lie down." :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm laughing but ive seen the Freanch doing almost that :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember you saying about them posting the fine Bob and did think it would've been easier to pay on the spot , the UK and FR police computers are supposed to be linked now :(
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

OK you residents of La belle France... how have the new 80kph limits panned out now its over 6 months since they call kicked off?

Still seeing too many cameras and over-active traffic cops in silly locations...? :evil:

Just doing some calcs and readjusting timescales for a back road N to S run across France, and like Tramp said, it's going to be long days or an extra night I reckon... Even the little 400 would bimble happily for hours on end at 90 plus a bit...
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Why the need for a foot down? I can stop still for a good few seconds without a foot and then carry on. As long as you stop, thats the thing right?
almar

Post by almar »

still enforcing the speed limits around the mayenne area ( north west) finned for only a couple klm over . Brits over here with UK plates think there safe ! oops think again. respect the speed limits , no problem
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

SteveR wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:18 pm OK you residents of La belle France... how have the new 80kph limits panned out now its over 6 months since they call kicked off?

Still seeing too many cameras and over-active traffic cops in silly locations...? :evil:

Just doing some calcs and readjusting timescales for a back road N to S run across France, and like Tramp said, it's going to be long days or an extra night I reckon... Even the little 400 would bimble happily for hours on end at 90 plus a bit...
For the moment it's not really an issue. The vast majority of Gendarmes are re-deployed to cope with Gilet Jaune protests and almost every single speed camera has been painted over, burnt down or taped up. Even the cameras that were destroyed 2 or 3 months ago have not been replaced or repaired, probably for fear of them being immediately done over again. So there's not much in the way of policing to enforce the 80kmh limit anyway. On a short trip the other day I noticed most people are driving at somewhere between 85 and 100, much as they used to.

When things return to normal perhaps there'll be a fresh push to enforce the limit.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

I think everybody has returned to how it was speed limit wise, how ever have heard of a lot more breath tests.....especially late afternoon and out in the sticks, small villages, etc, so make sure you have all your papers on you, just in case.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks Dave and Chunky.

I have to say that does sound like a very sensible response to an unwanted and pointless piece of legislation... What was the (alleged) actual driver for the speed reductions, surely not purely as a Macron cosh cow?
On a short trip the other day I noticed most people are driving at somewhere between 85 and 100, much as they used to.

When things return to normal perhaps there'll be a fresh push to enforce the limit.
Positive! It'll go back to the old days when drivers used to flash and wave to warn of speed traps up ahead ;)

On the breathaliser front, not an issue for me I never drink a drop when riding... And I try to carry all my papers. Maybe I need to transfer an EU CE tag to my summer gloves??
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

SteveR wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 am What was the (alleged) actual driver for the speed reductions ?
Well it was the usual reason - deaths on the roads - which is a serious crisis in France.

The problem is that the main policy response governments use to address road accidents is to lower speed limits. It's a dim-witted and simplistic response to a complex issue, and because it invariably involves more fines and speed-camera enforcement the government is always open to the accusation that all it wants to do is raise revenue.

Regular road users in France are well aware that it is reckless overtaking in the wrong places, tail-gating, and miscalculated overtakes near junctions or on the brows of hills that causes a huge number of road accidents; speeding on its own is not the principle cause. But of course policing poor driving can't be done by speed cameras and would require a large and expensive increase in patrolling police on the roads looking specifically for dangerous driving. There's no sign that that's going to happen. Indeed as camera revenues flow in to local authorities/police/exchequer coffers it can become almost impossible politically to withdraw the cameras because the reduction in revenue becomes a crisis in itself.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Mike54 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:23 pm Why the need for a foot down? I can stop still for a good few seconds without a foot and then carry on. As long as you stop, thats the thing right?
WOW
You must be some sort of riding god, managing to stop for a few good seconds without putting your foot down.
I bet all the true riding gods are bricking themselves hoping that you never grow up and take your stabilizers off.

In the meantime us mere mortals will just continue to be absolutely astounded by your claims of brilliance
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Hey Davey, some one told me twas an emissions thing reducing speed, that's how the politicians got it through parliament......every one knows speeding doesn't kill :o . And on stopping at stop sign......count three seconds with both feet down so they can see your in fun control. :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I know load of crap, but I don't want another e90 fine :D

Return to “TRAVEL”