Looking for some nice routes in East Sussex and Kent

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Darren s

Looking for some nice routes in East Sussex and Kent

Post by Darren s »

Hi all I’m picking up a DR350 this weekend and will be looking for some nice little Day trips out in Kent or probably East Sussex so any ideas? I live in New Romney Kent so start from here and I’m looking to head over to rye and start from there preferably with a midday coffee stop .
DavidS

Re: Looking for some nice routes in East Sussex and Kent

Post by DavidS »

From New Romney, you’ve got a decent few lanes on the Marsh and then loads Ashford way and then right along Pilgrims Way.
Heading to Rye won’t be any use really.
I’m afraid I don’t have any routes as we usually get lead round by someone who knows them.

Look up Kent County Council Rights of Way map online. You will be thrilled at the decent amount of riding available.
Also get a permit for the restricted lanes. Essential as they do check them. Should be on the website as well.

East Sussex a bit limited (my home patch) and is a decent day out if you do them there and back.
Again, no set routes as we tend to vary what we do and everyone has a different way round.
Look up East Sussex Highways Right of Way map plus their temporary closure page. Some on their map have been closed for years but still seem to appear. :roll:

Sorry I can’t be much more help at the moment as I’m not around into next month.

I wouldn’t recommend riding alone, although many do. A lot of the lanes are rarely used so not the place to have problems.
Are you in the TRF? Join the Kent group and try and get in touch with them.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

Thanks for your help I know of a few ashford way and the pilgrims way but was unsure on how much of that you can ride? I’m not part of the TRF not really sure what it’s all about I’m new to all of this so any info is welcome 👍
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The relevant County websites will help you as they should clearly show what is and isn’t usable.
They are both interactive although the last time I looked at the Kent one it was a bit cumbersome, not helped by not really knowing where I was looking at when I zoomed in.

The TRF are realistically the only people that will keep lanes open, albeit East Sussex and Kent Councils are relatively supportive.
I would urge you to join, even if only for the financial contribution to the numerous legal fights.

Unfortunately, there is some fragmentation within the TRF at the moment that makes a one stop shop for communication Extremely difficult but, by joining and getting in touch with the Kent group you should hopefully make contact with some local riders.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
SIF

Post by SIF »

Darren,
As David says, loads of legal trails just minutes from New Romney making a nice loop for you up to Ashford. Alternatively pick up the Transeurotrail at Hamstreet and ride to Dover or across into Sussex. You're bang in the middle of it. Your local TRF tend to be a bit Maidstone centric but there's an East Kent section as well.
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

SIF wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:43 pm Darren,
As David says, loads of legal trails just minutes from New Romney making a nice loop for you up to Ashford. Alternatively pick up the Transeurotrail at Hamstreet and ride to Dover or across into Sussex. You're bang in the middle of it. Your local TRF tend to be a bit Maidstone centric but there's an East Kent section as well.
Great info again thanks
Looks like I won’t be sort of a few places to potter about then.I will have to look at this transeurotrail as well I lived near Hamstreet for 11years up until August never heard of it.would be good if any of you are local to meet up for a ride and coffee at some point.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The TET (Transeurotrail) is a new thing utilising existing lanes but set up as a route as long as you care to make it so not actually new lanes.
It wasn’t around then so you haven’t missed anything.

Those of us in East Sussex are based towards Eastbourne and inland so don’t get over your way much sadly.
We do try Kent runs a couple of times a year though.

If you join the TRF and track down the East Kent group they would be your best bet.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

DavidS wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 am The TET (Transeurotrail) is a new thing utilising existing lanes but set up as a route as long as you care to make it so not actually new lanes.
It wasn’t around then so you haven’t missed anything.

Those of us in East Sussex are based towards Eastbourne and inland so don’t get over your way much sadly.
We do try Kent runs a couple of times a year though.

If you join the TRF and track down the East Kent group they would be your best bet.
I had a look at the TET and like you said it’s nothing new just a plotted out route on old roads and trails. I’ve run or cycled a lot of it that being said call it the transeurotrail and I want to ride it.

Return to “TRAVEL”