Camping Pods in the Ardennes?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Camping Pods in the Ardennes?

Post by SteveR »

Can anyone on here recommend any sites within the Ardennes with 2 man camping pods for hire please?

Anywhere in the region will do,as I am looking for somewhere to be based for 3 nights and explore the region a bit. Too late in the year now for camping without extra kit and I would prefer to be travelling light anyway, a bag and a stove appeals :)
Godspeed

Re: Camping Pods in the Ardennes?

Post by Godspeed »

I’m heading that way in October, have you thought about airBnB? I’ve not used them yet but prices look as cheap as camping and will save you taking so much stuff...
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
herman

Post by herman »

Cant help with pods but we have used a couple of good family run hotels with off street parking, one in Revin the other in Rocroi. Shout if you want details. 8-)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Godspeed wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:12 pm I’m heading that way in October, have you thought about airBnB? I’ve not used them yet but prices look as cheap as camping and will save you taking so much stuff...
Have looked as you suggest, the issue is wet kit... My son and his ex used Air bnb a lot and found them OKon the whole,and as you say, competitive. :-)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

herman wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:55 pm Cant help with pods but we have used a couple of good family run hotels with off street parking, one in Revin the other in Rocroi. Shout if you want details. 8-)
Yes please! English spoken?? ;)

I was actually seriously considering a Premier Classe in Givet only last night, as being a great location to dive into the Ardennes from and OK pricing for a single person... A quick ride from Dunkirk too .
herman

Post by herman »

Revin: Le Francois 1ER , 46 Quai Camille Desmoulin 08500. There is a nice bridge as you come in from the North , half way across look down and you will see the hotel on the river bank. Probably by then a limited menu but the food is really good and parking in a gated courtyard at the back. http://www.restaurantfrancois1.fr
Rocroi: Hotel le Commerce , above a bar and right in the middle of a lovely fortified town, nice folk and again parking gated to the rear. http://www.otrocroi.com/?Ou-dormir-%3F/Hotels English was patchy depends who was serving but its a touristy area some someone always understands our appalling French.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for the pointers and links Herman, I will take a look later and suss out that area. Pretty sure I came through Rocroi and camped a few km further South some years ago. Beautiful area...

As to the Franglais, I cannot believe anyone can be worse than my mangled attempts in the past, and will have been made far worse through lack of usage in recent years :o

Later.... I have emailed the folks in Rocroy, mainly because the town looks great for both Charlie and I... Loads of good fortifications about :mrgreen:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Hotel Commerce was pretty well booked for a bike rally this w/e, and the other didn't bother to email back... Probs don't like the English :D
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

In the end, I went to Dorset for 3 days with my son on his GS500 for a Dad and Lad trip.

The accommodation was ramping up in price as I got closer to the date of a departure, and then Charlie started blowing a bit hot and cold on the time away... The lure of a young lady I suspect... :mrgreen:

I hope to try again early next year and will keep teh details handy. Thanks chaps
herman

Post by herman »

We just used a one bed cottage in central Brittany which was spot on for exploring 29 euros a night!

Return to “TRAVEL”