Broken down bike in Austria

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Scott_rider

Broken down bike in Austria

Post by Scott_rider »

Hi Guys. Unfortunately, 8 days into an 11 day European trip to Croatia and back my CBF1000 broke down in Austria and it's still there :cry: . I'm back in the UK via taxis, hire cars, and a boat. I'd be grateful for any advice on the following:

The battery went flat at a petrol sation during a hot, fast day's riding. We bumped the bike, it started, then it died again 30 mins later at a junction in Innsbruck. The breakdown recovery driver tested the battery and said it wasn't receiving a charge. Hence, we all thought the Stator had packed up which is a common fault on the CBF1000.

1). The Insurance company (Carol Nash) agreed to repatriate the bike as it would take too long to fix it in Austria. It will be back in 14 days time. However, they had to take it from the breakdown compound to an authorised Honda dealer which was 50 km away for an official diagnosis before starting the repatriation process. That dealer has charged 250 euros for the diagnosis :o which I have to pay for, but I only found out about it when I was back in the UK.

Is that the usual procedure?

2). Lastly, that diagnosis charge seems a lot of money to me :shock: and the outcome is vague because of the language difference. It translates, apparently, as 'faulty alternator' :roll: . The bike is now back from that dealer and is at the original breakdown compound in Austria where it was first taken to by the recovery driver (and all within 4 hours, which seems a bit quick)?

I've paid the 250 euro because I want the bike back and nothing was going to happen until I paid it. I argued it for 4 days but gave up.
Has anyone had a similar issue with repatriation or any thoughts on whether it's basically the dealer taking the royal p1ss...?
Last edited by Scott_rider on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Broken down bike in Austria

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Austria is very expensive.

I'd read your T&C very carefully....I'd have though that if you requested repatriation without repair then you wouldn't have to pay.

But if you ASKED for or AGREED TO a diagnosis or repair then you, Tommy Englander, shall pay zee price.

As Mr Nixon's chum Charles Colson said..."If you get them by the balls then their hearts and minds will follow."
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

My first thought is that I’m sorry that your trip ended early.

I know this may all sound like bullshit but hang on in there a minute please.

1. It could have been worse, you didn’t end early due to injury.

2. In the T’s & C’s of the breakdown cover it probably mentions a check being done before an expensive repatriation of the bike.

3. If the dealer travelled 50km to collect the bike, checked it in the workshop, and then delivered it back for €250 and that took 4 hours.......£230? Less than £60 per hour.

So, while you are pissed off and I get it, it’s a disappointment. Try to.....

What I try to do is look at things from the logical side. It’s not that much money in the scheme of things. The dealer probably hasn’t tried to rip the arse out of the job ( my experiences when abroad and needing help are virtually always the opposite) just responding at short notice to try and help.

Have a look through the small print. If Carole Nash have done things incorrectly you can ask for the money back later.
The most important thing is that you’re safe. Your bike is on its way back.

Check it condition wise when it returns, get the repair done (under warranty?) put it down to experience and start planning your next trip.
The whole experience is another (soon to be great) story. And that why we go away isn’t it? The stories and experiences.

In the scheme of what we spend having fun €250 isn’t a massive amount of money.
That’s my logical brain.

My emotional brain, says ‘bastards, there’s always some fecker with his hand in my wallet....bloody bike, load of old shit, my old bike never let me down, blah blah blah’

If the above is of no help, sorry.

OnHellas
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...^^^... :D that is a very good reply and wise words!
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

With it being a charging issue surely replacing the cheaper rectifier first should be an option?,
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I know its after the event but to prevent such happenings--or at least be in a position to get them fixed easily--I do two things to all my bikes.
1. FIT a cheap LED/Voltage indicator onto the feed wire out of the ignition--that way I know that the battery voltage is correct and being charged ,and I get an early warning of anything going south so that I can get to a local garage etc before it grinds to a halt.
2. I carry a spare reg/rectifier, a small multi meter and a couple of lengths of wire---and armed with an extract from the manual (I carry a manual on CD as well--or you could put it on a memory stick) I can check alternator winding continuity, earth and voltage points, and quickly swap out the Reg/Rect--if a reg/rect goes south they usually overcharge the battery as well and you are then faced with an additional fried battery by the time the thing stops.

Even if you don't have the expertise then carrying these SMALL things will enable a competent mechanic to check it for you--and save all the issues of having a bike recovered. Bear in mind that if the cost of recovery exceeds the bike value they might even write it off and then its up to you to recover it.
If the charging system fails then its surprising how far you can get with a battery just powering the ignition--just buy a cheap battery charger and take a bit of time out to top it up where you can--and purchasing another battery will also help as long as it fits in the hole--doesn't matter if its a bit smaller. Charge both up overnight!--I guess it also helps if the bike is old school and has a basic(simple) electrical system without whizz bang cant bus etc.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:57 pm Charge both up overnight!--I guess it also helps if the bike is old school and has a basic(simple) electrical system without whizz bang cant bus etc.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:57 pm I know its after the event but to prevent such happenings--or at least be in a position to get them fixed easily--I do two things to all my bikes.
1. FIT a cheap LED/Voltage indicator onto the feed wire out of the ignition--that way I know that the battery voltage is correct and being charged ,and I get an early warning of anything going south so that I can get to a local garage etc before it grinds to a halt.
2. I carry a spare reg/rectifier, a small multi meter and a couple of lengths of wire---and armed with an extract from the manual (I carry a manual on CD as well--or you could put it on a memory stick) I can check alternator winding continuity, earth and voltage points, and quickly swap out the Reg/Rect--if a reg/rect goes south they usually overcharge the battery as well and you are then faced with an additional fried battery by the time the thing stops.

Even if you don't have the expertise then carrying these SMALL things will enable a competent mechanic to check it for you--and save all the issues of having a bike recovered. Bear in mind that if the cost of recovery exceeds the bike value they might even write it off and then its up to you to recover it.
If the charging system fails then its surprising how far you can get with a battery just powering the ignition--just buy a cheap battery charger and take a bit of time out to top it up where you can--and purchasing another battery will also help as long as it fits in the hole--doesn't matter if its a bit smaller. Charge both up overnight!--I guess it also helps if the bike is old school and has a basic(simple) electrical system without whizz bang cant bus etc.
I know guys who travelled around Europe doing this using two batteries after getting failure only a short way into a trip. Canbus is a pain though. I remember my dad doing it with the car too after an alternator failure the day before we went on holidays. He just brought a second battery from his rather large lawnmower and which was same as the car battery. Old school Mercedes Fintail.

A voltmeter should be on every Honda and Ducati....
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Several years ago I got stung for €720 by a garage in France, again that was thanks to auntie Carol, who was adiment that the bike “could” be fixed locally, so therefore didn’t need repatriation, it was only after a long battle of attrition did they capitulate and bring it back 6 weeks later.

Moral of the story........ don’t use auntie carol for breakdown cover
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Can bus or not swapping batteries around or using a much larger one works.
This car battery got me going again whilst at Hyder/Stewart .... Alaska/Canada.
I needed some new cables made but it worked.
2916F6C4-1AC0-4711-AEBD-6A5B084DCA60.jpeg
2916F6C4-1AC0-4711-AEBD-6A5B084DCA60.jpeg (159.35 KiB) Viewed 3432 times

Return to “TRAVEL”