Broken down bike in Austria

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
DaveCon

Re: Broken down bike in Austria

Post by DaveCon »

Another (possible) Carol Nash rip off story? Surely not.

What I don't understand is why it's not possible to diagnose a faulty charging system at the roadside. It's not that difficult for a competent mechanic. If the mechanic did diagnose the fault, why didn't they believe him?

If they're not sending out competent mechanics, just vehicle collection drivers, why did they not take the bike direct to the garage if they wanted a definitive diagnosis? It sounds to me like there's been some internal shenanikins between Carole Nash and the recovery company.

To my mind it should have gone - collection to Honda garage - diagnosis - fix (if parts available) next day - on your way. None of this travel home and ship back later bollox. It's a roadside assistance service not a shipping service :x
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...^^^...I agree :(

It's now 11 days since the breakdown and still no confirmation of when the back will be back :cry: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

My bike is now back...19 days after the breakdown...but I'm glad it's back 8-) . The side stand spring is missing and the left hand fork seal is weeping so I reckon it's been ratcheted down hard but other than that it's OK.

The engine case cover had clearly not been taken off for the "diagnosis" so I'm still going to query the 250 euro charge... :o
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

you don't need to take any cover off to do an alternator check--simply resistance across each pair of yellow wires. That's assuming that its not a reg/rect fault which can be simply checked with the engine running. Even if it was an alternator winding fault then a replacement part should take no longer than about 5 days from Honda--and replacing it is just a few casing bolts and a perhaps a gasket.--any decent Honda garage should have fixed it for very close to what you have already paid?
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

your bike will have been stored and returned with 6 or 8 others to the uk . we have seen the van a trailer a few times on its way back to the uk . as for a road side fix you must think its the AA . there is no chance of them even trying he want to go home for lunch, not get all dirty . :) :)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

As OH suggested, you may find that teh charge is embedded in the T&Cs but if it isn't then challenge it for sure.

It's really worth checking any T&Cs when it comes to repatriation before you buy it. So many of them put a cap on cost for repatriation (usually 1000-1500 quid). They will also try absolutely everything to get out of repatriation, from repair estimate to write off. If there is even a question mark about the bike being a write off they will just pay a local garage 250 euros to say its goosed and they will then refuse to bring it back. As boring as it is, the small print is a critical read.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Depending on the age you may actually find it's the wiring to the R/R, easy visual check as it melts, if it is then throw that back a Carole Nash as a misdiagnosis.

Steve
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

An update (for anyone who's interested :oops: )...I replaced the Stator and the Rectifier/Regulator myself which cost £225 in parts. Carole Nash have still not sent me the receipt fro the 250 euro diagnosis charge...nor have they addressed the other matters such as the side stand switch/spring that was missing...I've complained in writing and they've replied saying they will give me an answer in 40 working days :shock: . They've said that if I'm not satisfied at that point then they will refer it to the Ombudsman.... :o . All I want, is either a proper invoice/explanation for the 250 euro charge or the money back...I suspect that there isn't an invoice for it but we will see....

Anyway....here's the bike a few days before the breakdown, taken in Croatia 8-)

Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Update....after a lot of argy bargy the breakdown insurer has given my a refund of £130 (145 euro) so the diagnostic check to get the bike repatriated has cost me 105 euro instead of the 250 euros that I originally paid 8-) .
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

well done for your tenacity! don't think I would have bothered, so I guess that's why these companies get away with this sort of thing! but I do like the idea of just buying a 'fuck off' sized battery and strap it to the seat in a 'Mad Max' style to allow one to finish the journey lol.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “TRAVEL”