The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
OnHellas

Re: An Australian lap attempt.....anti clockwise

Post by OnHellas »

andyfrizzle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:09 pm
OnHellas wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm
andyfrizzle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:39 am
OnHellas wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:58 am
As we were coming in to land at Sydney airport we could see the very ship that had bought our bikes from home sitting in the harbour......

Once we had paid the dock fees, customs clearance fees and quarantine clearance fees.....not cheap....we took a taxi to the warehouse where our bikes were.....This is it, the ride begins......ish!!

The staff at the Freight warehouse were super helpful, paperwork was minimal and simple.
Whereabouts in Sydney were the bikes/freight office located, where you needed to collect them from etc?

Thanks.

Andy
I can’t remember the name of the company, ANL containers maybe.
It was all arranged by MotoFreight in the UK. We then used Bikes Abroad (trading partner of MotoFreight) to sort Carnet, Quarantine and all of the other paperwork.
We just turned up at the warehouse once we had the word that everything was done.

Why? Are you thinking of sending your bike out here?
We have been planning a trip to Australia/NZ similar to yourselves. I was asking about the location of the Sydney collection point (It's a big city) to try and p!an accommodation the correct side of the city. I've made tentative enquiries already with MotoFreight and BikesAbroad. Just trying to establish first hand information from someone who has recently used the service.
Right oh, I’m with you.
We stayed in Mascot. Have a look at the Meriton suites, very nice apartments with a full kitchen, close to airport, close to metro station to get in and out of the city. A supermarket etc.
A shortish taxi ride to where we had to collect the bikes. About a £20 fare from memory.

I was slightly surprised at the cost of clearance this side. The shipping itself was excellent value even though it wasn’t in one of MotoFreights complete containers.

I don’t know what bike you have but Pro Cycles in St Peters have been good. They to BMW, KTM and Triumph.

Have you sorted out road insurance? If not I can PM you a direct dial number for a very nice chap at Youi.
You won’t need to by the CTP insurance if entering through NSW, it’s free to foreign registratered vehicles.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Adventures.....it’s exciting isn’t it.....??!!
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We finally got around to sorting this out. Most of the points are places stayed with a few extras of amazing places that we saw along the way.
6E58E15A-1248-4994-8306-A35790FDB0E1.jpeg
6E58E15A-1248-4994-8306-A35790FDB0E1.jpeg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
andyfrizzle

Post by andyfrizzle »

We have been planning a trip to Australia/NZ similar to yourselves. I was asking about the location of the Sydney collection point (It's a big city) to try and p!an accommodation the correct side of the city. I've made tentative enquiries already with MotoFreight and BikesAbroad. Just trying to establish first hand information from someone who has recently used the service.
Right oh, I’m with you....

Have you sorted out road insurance? If not I can PM you a direct dial number for a very nice chap at Youi.
You won’t need to by the CTP insurance if entering through NSW, it’s free to foreign registratered vehicles.

Thanks for the info. You have already PMd me the insurance co details when I contacted you prior to the start of your trip.

Many thanks.

Let us all know how your NZ adventures go, including any (more) problems with shipping the bikes that we may encounter. I've seen your thread re shipping the bikes from Australia to NZ. I've got the details already from BikesAbroad for the weekly shipping to NZ.

Andy
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

andyfrizzle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:09 pm
Right oh, I’m with you....

Thanks for the info. You have already PMd me the insurance co details when I contacted you prior to the start of your trip.

Many thanks.

Let us all know how your NZ adventures go, including any (more) problems with shipping the bikes that we may encounter. I've seen your thread re shipping the bikes from Australia to NZ. I've got the details already from BikesAbroad for the weekly shipping to NZ.

Andy
You’re welcome. I’m pleased to be of some help.

Re getting to NZ. We are using GT International Logistics based in Auckland.
They were recommended by MotoFreight as a way of getting the bikes out of NZ.
I’ll let you know how it goes. Christmas and summer holidays have delayed us a bit, but a rest has been good.

Return to “TRAVEL”