Solo or Group ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
daveuprite

Solo or Group ?

Post by daveuprite »

Interesting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018 ... dan-africa

I can see the benefits of both ways. I travelled around Africa alone, and enjoyed the independence a lot, but it was always great to meet other overlanders and share stories when the chance arose. And getting drunk on Primus every night alone in Kinshasa while waiting 2 weeks for the Congo riverboat to arrive was pretty miserable on reflection.

What do the explorers on ABR think?
diggermanbob

Re: Solo or Group ?

Post by diggermanbob »

I must admit I quite fancy a solo trip but also enjoy going with a couple of mates , it also gives a bit of added security / safety if you riding with others , that's one of the reasons for running a 250 so if I do go solo I know I can pick it up or push it if I have to , but the last two trips have been a hoot with my English /French buddies. :D
ricks2018

Post by ricks2018 »

I feel going solo is better than a group. It gives you chances to meet yourself, explore yourself and meet new people.
:)
pauljohnson

Post by pauljohnson »

I think there's nothing like going solo, you can meet new people and make new friends.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I've never travelled alone although do, I have to say, very much enjoy my own company. Growing up in a John Brown Schooldays type of boarding school has I think has made me pretty self-reliant and resilient so solo travelling would, I think, hold no problem for me. I've been on more motorbike trips than I care to remember, in the early days with a single buddy who had their own bike, and then with my g/friend (now wife). Said wife then got her own bike and the travels continued with two bikes. Our last trip was for 5 months using a sidecar outfit. If ever there's an ice-breaker, it has to be an outfit.
At one stage, last decade, we made several trips with a small group of good friends; it was great as we all got on and rode well together. But....good friends often move away and getting together even infrequently requires real effort.
So, travel has mostly been as a twosome and I cannot imagine doing it without my wife whilst we both remain healthy and adventurous, as I would undoubtedly miss her for all manner of reasons.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I always travel solo these days hence, like Bob, I ride a bike light enough to pick up a few times. It also means I make an effort to meet locals, read a book, and can spend ages looking round castles and churches without annoying anyone.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I've done all my trips either 2 of us or 3 of us. Pros & Cons to travelling alone or in a group I guess. Just the same as - do I pre-book accommodation or find somewhere each evening it.
I do like the thought of doing a solo trip though.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Fancy a solo trip, but going with a couple buddies is great fun, plus you've got the added security if you get in a muddle ;)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It depends on the 'planned' trip. If it's a voyage of discovery to new places then we prefer to make it up as we go along and for that we 'travel' as a couple (me and her on separate bikes) but if it's a uk weekender then with a group of friends is more fun.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Good question! Personally, I think I'd rather share the trip with someone else. Years gone by I would have said travelling alone was better, but that's mostly down to the fantasies of travelling that play out in my head (nothing dirty, I promise)! In reality, I love being able to share the experiences, the views, and the roads with someone else.

Return to β€œTRAVEL”