July 2018 - Southern Scandinavia

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
surreybiker

July 2018 - Southern Scandinavia

Post by surreybiker »

Hello all, new to the forum (and forums generally) but would be really grateful for any input ahead of a last minute trip I am taking on 1 July. Interesting places to visit, towns to avoid, decent campsites. Any recommendations or experience for things reasonably close to the route I am taking would be amazing. My plans are totally open but I am expecting reasonably big mileage per day and will have camping gear. The only concrete plan is to get to Oslo, and stay on the evenings of, the 4th and 5th July with a friend (and the other concrete fact is the ferry dates). Schedule as below:

1 July - Day ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland then camp somewhere near Rotterdam
2 July - From near Rotterdam to near Hamburg perhaps
3 July - From near Hamburg to near Gothenburg via Copenhagen
4 July - From near Gothenburg to near Oslo
5 July - Oslo (no riding)
6 July - Oslo then ferry to Hertshals then Hertshals to near Silkeborg
7 July - From near Silkeborg to near Oldenborg
8 July - From near Oldenborg to Hook of Holland then late afternoon ferry home.

Total mileage is c1,900. Apologies if some of the place names are lesser known - they fall at what look like good daily mileage points, so have been chosen for that reason. I am happy to get on the rode and go with the flow but it would be great if I could get some inside knowledge or 'must sees' that fall on this route.

Thanks

Elliot (Godalming, Surrey)
dubber68

Re: July 2018 - Southern Scandinavia

Post by dubber68 »

I'm in Scandinavia now and man this place eats tyres. A new set of Michelin siracs is now toast (4k) and may not get me home. The road surfaces are very abrasive so make sure you have decent tread depth before you set off.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
qcnr

Re: July 2018 - Southern Scandinavia

Post by qcnr »

Good luck getting ferry from Oslo to Hirtshals. :shock:
You'll either need to go to Larvik or Kristiansand ;) :)
Shame you are not coming to the west of Norway, soooo much better than Oslo.
Riding from Gothenberg to Oslo to Larvik will not really show you much of Norway.
Enjoy your trip non the less :D
If you really want to see Norway then I would do as follows:
Hamburg> Hirtshals 20:15 ferry to Kristiansand (get off ferry find a spot to camp along E-39)
Kristiansand> Haugesund (take off the E39 to RV44 for some nice riding)> E134 Etne> RV 48 Skånevik>FV 551
(pop into folgefonna national park see the glacier) > Odda
Odda> Røldal> Haukeligrend> Evje> Kristiansand> Hirtshals
Hirtshals> Silkeborg....

In Flensburg there is a big shopping centre where you can stock up on food and drink.
Norway avg speed 50kmh, if you stick to Motorway (Proper Mway, only really around Oslo) avg 80-90 kmh.
Try to stay off E roads as much as possible

Return to “TRAVEL”