around the world ...its simple

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
minkyhead

around the world ...its simple

Post by minkyhead »

i have a guest this week .. a guy called farooq from broolyn new york ...

so heres farooqs preperation plans

1 pass motorcyle test

2 buy a bike crf rally

3 put bags on it

4 put petrol in it

5 go

long story short 19.000 mile later with no punctures and no repair kit .. he racked up at our house and ive been helping him with som tlc time for the bike

knackered chain and notched head bearings .. new tyres blown rear bulb ....vacume locked fork fractured exhaust where the braket fell off ..and thats it .. its in pretty good shape given its milage over unmade roads

total novice on road ..no expierance of road ... and zero as in zero mechanicle knowlage .....so lets do mongolia and the stans solo ...brilliant guy he could charm his way a round the world ..or has done already
he even did the nurboring on a 250 with shagged out knobbly tryres
8-) :mrgreen:

its been a absolute pleasure to meet him and get to know him over the last week ...hes off soon shipping to canada for thelast 5000 miles to home
are we guilty over overthink stuff somtimes ... yes we are

we went for a mini test late last night for the steering and forks and hes off in the yourkshire dales with a gpx i gave him ..he will call in to have the bearings checked and then canada here he comes

take a bow farooq ....

https://www.facebook.com/farooq.tariq.16

ImageDSC_1220 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1221 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Image35199058_10205104089839963_3104635805906239488_n by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Last edited by minkyhead on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
steve the grease

Re: around the world ...its simple

Post by steve the grease »

Absolutely brilliant Farook,may you travel well.

I overplan everything and so never get anything done because I'm still waiting for the spare kitchen sink to arrive .... OR I go off to the bank ( for example) and half way there remember that my paying in book is on the sideboard.

Some old Hippie friends told me of a tale of some friends who set off 2 up on a Vespa scooter and apparently made it to Vietnam.......

Coupla years back we met a young American Guy who had planned a Europe trip with his mates , who had then all dropped out one by one. So he came on his own and then ran out of money ( now there is a way of forcing you to make friends) cos everthing is so much more expensive over here. Last heard of in a VW hitched a lift going to Rome.......
Go for it Guys
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

This is brilliant!
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Way to go Farook , well impressed 8-)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

What a great story just goes to show you don't need a big bike to take you where you want to go , just time and a positive attitude , good luck Farook with the onward journey :D
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Fantastic. Yes, we do over plan sometimes. Or maybe hes just been very very lucky. Either way, good on him.

And nice one Minky for sorting his bike out.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Well done Steve for helping him out 👍
one-legged adventurer
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Great stuff Steve.....

Well done that rider!!!!!

I can relate...when I was riding back from the ROI a couple of years ago a met a man called Lance on a moto......he'd just passed his test in California bought a moto, shipped it and was riding Europe.

We got off the boat in Cherbourg and I gave him my address etc. He toured the DDay stuff and a week later arrived to stay for a couple of days. Again, like you, i gave his moto the once over as he has no mechanical learning but was keen to do so.

We rode over into Spain for a ride out and off he went thereafter. Great to see a new rider introduce to our discipline eh?

Best of luck on his onward journey.

Ignorance indeed can be bliss at times

:D
Will It Buff Out?
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Good on you lot who grasp the opportunity to help out fellow travellers 8-) what goes around comes around ;) .
Must admit to just going with the flow and trusting that if something goes wrong then someone will help you out ...... it might not be what we are used to in our cossetted 1st world but a couple of days of bread and milk won't kill ya. It makes a change from having everything available at the touch of a button.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

With all this Google Earth and hotel information on the web, and sat nav stuff available I've definitely started overplanning things and worrying about stuff I never even considered before - even the weather. This thread really highlights to me I need to get back to the "pack bags and go" mentality. Although probably not round the world :lol:

Return to “TRAVEL”