Peage procedures

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Peage procedures

Post by SteveR »

In all my years of trundling through France, I have never had to use the french toll motorway. Mostly because 98% of my trip are by bike, and who wants to sit on a motorway in France!

However, I may well have to do a fast run down to Grenoble this weekend, and I am wondering what the procedure is in this day and age of auto tolls and prepaid cards. I know with a car, you can buy a pass, but not worth it for 1-2 trips. Website tells me nothing, but the cost for a bike is around €35, which is almost acceptable.

So, do the peage stations between Calais and Grenoble have manned booths? Which is easier debit card, or cash?
Far canal

Re: Peage procedures

Post by Far canal »

I use Sanef for my peage sensor jobbie - saneftolling.co.uk Their site is in English and you can nominate an English bank account. Easier than an easy thing. I travel all the way from Calais to the Frejus Tunnel (near Lyon) and it's motorways all the way. My bill, for the French motorways, on my last trip (in a small van) in April was £160 for both ways (Calais - Frejus, Frejus - Calais)

Now I've not tried the automated (30kmh) lanes on the bike, only in the car, but you cruise up and the barrier opens before you reach it so no stopping. I'm taking the bike down to Italy in June so we will have to see how it works. The only problem I can think of is where to fix it on the bike and to remember to take it off when I leave the bike anywhere.

I understand that the rate is the same for a car, bike or small van.

Hope that helps.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Bikes are class 5 and cars class 1 on autoroutes and you should pay around 30% less. There can be an issue with a bike being recognised and having to use the help buzzer to get through barriers.
I'm sure there'll be someone far more informed than me along before long to give a full answer.
Not all those wandering are lost
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

We usually go to a manned booth at the Peages. The automatic ones sometimes don't recognise that you're on a bike, so you can pay a bit more. Also, the automatic booths where you put coins in, or a card, can be a real faff if you've got a queue behind you and fumbling for the change or pin number etc. :roll:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

I just avoid the motorways when I'm on my bike , hate riding on them !!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Scott_rider wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:24 pm We usually go to a manned booth at the Peages. The automatic ones sometimes don't recognise that you're on a bike, so you can pay a bit more. Also, the automatic booths where you put coins in, or a card, can be a real faff if you've got a queue behind you and fumbling for the change or pin number etc. :roll:
My issue was that I understand that some Toll station do NOT have a manned booth nowadays. Is this the case?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

pinball1008 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:14 pm Bikes are class 5 and cars class 1 on autoroutes and you should pay around 30% less. There can be an issue with a bike being recognised and having to use the help buzzer to get through barriers.
I'm sure there'll be someone far more informed than me along before long to give a full answer.
That is my understanding too, but that the auto barriers struggle with bikes...
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

SteveR wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm
Scott_rider wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:24 pm We usually go to a manned booth at the Peages. The automatic ones sometimes don't recognise that you're on a bike, so you can pay a bit more. Also, the automatic booths where you put coins in, or a card, can be a real faff if you've got a queue behind you and fumbling for the change or pin number etc. :roll:
My issue was that I understand that some Toll station do NOT have a manned booth nowadays. Is this the case?

Yes, we have experienced that a few times but most of them do seem to have a manned booth. Usually, each toll booth has an illuminated sign above it indicating a card/coins or a man (in a hat) which is normally the manned booth. There is also another sign with a 'T' above it which I think is for the pre-pay drivers but I'm not sure.

I've dropped gloves, change, and cards at toll booths in France :roll: which is a real pain when you're on the bike with a queue of angry drivers behind you :lol: . One thing I would say is that each booth has a button to press if you get in a muddle and then you'll get the usual 'unhappy french style of customer service' from the attendant on the other end of the buzzer :P .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Cat 5 for bikes but the toll is about half a car toll.

Cat 1 for cars I think.

Some you select the category, card is easy option.

Lots are unmanned and even worse some but very few unmanned didn't seem to take cards. Card is king.

I was down last September but only did 4 toll sections of €6.50 each for exactly 100km.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I have a bip and go badge which I use both in the car and on the bike. Only use motorways on the bike to save time to get to more distant destinations, saves about 2 days on a round trip from here to Athens (3500 miles). Not had any problems with the bike being recognised. As has been said, most toll gate don’t have manned booths these days.

Return to “TRAVEL”