Henry Cole utterance...

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Henry Cole utterance...

Post by SteveR » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Moderately interesting report on bike touring hols in Sarth Efrika tonight.

An apparently, according to "our Enery", DualSport bikes were developed in the 1990's.... He's obviously never heard of Honda's Africa Twin or Transalp, Yam XT's and Suzi DR range . Let alone the Beemer GS's
:oops:

The man is a bit of a plonker and we need a better presenter of a bike show I reckon. Unfortch, I suspect the program is owned by Mr Cole?

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Brads

Re: Henry Cole utterance...

Post by Brads » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:08 pm

I like him. Think he`s ace in fact.

Pushes biking into the public domain using his own company so make a living at it as well.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !

SteveR

Post by SteveR » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Brads wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:08 pm
I like him. Think he`s ace in fact.

Pushes biking into the public domain using his own company so make a living at it as well.
Horses for courses.... ;)

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:32 am

SteveR wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:03 pm
The man is a bit of a plonker
Bit like saying Hitler was somewhat unpleasant.

Cole is a total and utter nob. But sadly he does represent the state of much of UK biking quite accurately I suppose. Old, crusty, conservative, nerdy and nostalgic. There is absolutely nothing in his broadcasts to attract young blood to biking. This slot is another wasted opportunity for the industry to rejuvenate itself, led astray by a self-indulgent dick. I watched a laughable edition of his show a couple of years ago where he 'reminisced' about his old GSXR Slabside, but you could tell from the way he talked that he had either never really owned one or had no real idea what those bikes were about.

His type of show is OK for those who want a classic bike resto program or a soft leisure retired biker show, but biking also needs a show that celebrates it as an exciting and risky pastime in a world obsessed with safety, a modern and technically advanced hobby, a cool way to get about or commute, a dangerous sport and a life-affirming pursuit. Cole misses on all counts.

However, look at his biography and he has had an interesting life. School at Eton, heroin habit, hanging out with rock bands and other stuff. Shame he's turned into such a boring bugger.
Last edited by daveuprite on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 am

This is an interesting topic. bikers are a broad church and no one man can capture us all. He has tried with this series and he did well down at that hipster bike place in London.

A good answer would be to have a older gent on, get a young sporty guy and a woman all presenting together (like topgear). Trouble is the show only has a tiny budget and I would imagine could not support three presenter salaries.

Maybe the taller of the Hairy Bikers for the classic Clarkson type if not HC.
That guy who does the sport bike test videos for MCN Micheal Neeves?
And one of these:

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Honda CRF250 Rally.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am

His general grammar is really getting to me--every sentence starts with "now look, right" or something similar--and he seems to enjoy behaving like a complete idiot whenever things get a little bit technical--he really can't be that stupid? I find myself trying to see past him to get at the content--and as for buggering up a brand new Norton--words fail me--dare I say it but Charlie boring would be better!--nevertheless--there is a bit of biking interest in there.
I think the current situation is summed up by a run organised by my local BMW dealer, Balderstons--last Sunday. It was a breakfast run and a bit misty and cold at the start--I was on my Triumph (I have owned a few BMWs!), and my son was on his 81 R80 G/S--the only old bike there (apart from the fact that they are now selling Enfields and there was demonstrator 500 classic--quite a nice try!). Anyway, to the point--the turn out was good--about 40 or so--and all oldish people on the latest GSs or similar--not many youngsters, and not many of BMWs sports bikes. We did a meandering 80 miles to a bacon butty stop at a pub(opened especially)--generally a good run out with nice scenery--but probably only 3 below 40 years of age.

zimtim

Post by zimtim » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

Yes he is a marmite kind of guy, but given a choice of Henry Cole and motorbikes or Eastbenders then I am afraid "our Enry" is a winner.
It is easier to defend yourself against a thousand enemies, than it is to defend against one backstabbing friend

bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 am

His type of show is OK for those who want a classic bike resto program or a soft leisure retired biker show
The exact demographic its aimed at. A marmite show with a marmite presenter, that's why you tv has multiple channels with enough S**T to suit all tastes :lol:

vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

I like him, but anyway, there's a bike show on Showcase on Freeview which isn't bad. A shame it's on so infrequently.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Brenhden wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 am
This is an interesting topic. bikers are a broad church and no one man can capture us all.
Absolutely right Bren. Which is why there also needs to be a good quality up to date biking program - on a mainstream terrestrial channel (not Ch.617 pay per view or whatever).

Those who want to tinker about in their workshops turning an appalling old CX500 into a caféhipsterflatscramblebob can watch Cole scratching his beard, and the others can keep up with the latest and greatest.

Return to “TRAVEL”