Foggie to Moss

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
ColKay

Foggie to Moss

Post by ColKay »

Right ferry booked!! feeling excited but a little lost in terms of i think i may be missing some thing but blissfully unaware of what it is?? So im pretty set in terms of route i would like to do, i am planning on doing it over 11days. mt trip will take me from Foggie in Scotland to Moss Norway and back. This means i will be travelling through Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and into Norway. a couple questions if i may for those seasoned EU bikers...
What do you do about money? do you just whack it all on credit card and worry about it all later? if so do tolls take plastic or do they require cold hard cash?

Thanks

wee "c" fae the riggs...
Be careful, if you cant be careful be lucky!! :D :D :D
Jak*

Re: Foggie to Moss

Post by Jak* »

I use a mixture of cash and card. Probably old fashioned but I do not like to be without cash. Take care which card you use some do not charge fees, some do Andy the exchange rates vary considerably.
Good luck and enjoy your travels. Cheers Jak
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

If you have time apply for a Halifax Clarity Card.
There aren't any road tolls in Norway, but you may end up on a short ferry or two so a bit of cash wont go amiss, or very far for that matter. Be prepared to say “How much?” When you see the prices of some things...
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Why the hell do you want to go to Moss? There is bog all there :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway if you don't want to follow the Haynes manual of travel. Going home is the reverse of getting here....
Consider the fast ferry from Kristiansand. From Moss take the ferry to Horten, then find a wiggly road that goes
west (avoid the E roads) and a few hours later you are in Kristiansand. Then 3.5 hours later at the tip of Denmark.
Nice ride down the E or W coast of DK or just bomb down the motorway to be in Germany after about 3.5 hours.
You could even visit Rjukan if you do this route and are interested in that sort of thing. Lovely roads around there :-)
Anywhere takes normal debit or credit card in Norway. Cash is becoming extinct here.... :shock:
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Credit card and a bit of cash for me.

The Scandi countries are all pretty switch on with online stuff but I paid for the odd local ferry with cash because it was easier and only small amounts. They all have different currencies though - it's not like the Euro zone.

Cash and credit card in Europe too, much the same as I would do here. I go to Europe so often I just get a bunch of money out and spend it as and when, never convert it back because I know I'll use it.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Plus one on the Halifax Clarity Card. I’ve been using one for a good few years and have saved loads compared to other cards.

I also always like to have local currency, you never know when you’ll need it.

Have a great trip, Norway is amazing.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

ColKay

Post by ColKay »

Thanks for all the input guys think it makes sense to have a bit of both card and cash... i will look in to how much i need to take of each currency... I should have mentioned the Moss bit, yea fek all there really except my brother stays there so it will be a visit to him for a couple days. Heading along a lot of the coast from Amsterdam right up to Moss. Then a ferry from Larvik back south the come home again but a more inland route to make it a bit more interesting than going back same route.

Its first big trip so a lot of learning curves this one!!

thanks for your time folks appreciated :D :D :D
Be careful, if you cant be careful be lucky!! :D :D :D
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

My advice would definately be to get to Kristiansand and take the ferry, or even Stavanger and take an overnight
ferry to Hirtshals (DK). There is lots to see on the way and lovely countryside with twisty roads. Depends on how much time and money you have though. :D

Return to “TRAVEL”