Around Britain Tour.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
sprintster

Around Britain Tour.

Post by sprintster »

I got a pleasant surprise at work yesterday when I was told I've got an extra 8 days holidays to take this year since the firm I work for was bought over. I won't be able to afford to go abroad as I've already paid for ferry tickets to Norway in July. Ferries are expensive from Newcastle and it would use too many days up running to the south coast.
And I've never been further south than Yorkshire so my plan is to take 11days off in September and ride around the coast of Britain. I know ABR magazine has just been running a series on this but since I never thought I would actually get time to do it I never kept them. Does anyone know how many days they reckoned it would take and how far it is? I'm guessing about 3000 miles which should be do-able in 10-11 days.I would do it clockwise from NE Scotland as I can do the West Coast any time so I won't have to rush the rest of the trip if I'm running out of time. Has anyone else made this trip?
SHarper

Re: Around Britain Tour.

Post by SHarper »

I set off to do it a few years ago, rode west from my house to where Wales meets England (Flint) and went anti-clockwise. We stuck to the most minor roads possible and ended up in Tenby, South Wales at the end of day one. We couldn't find a Travel Lodge (hadn't took a tent) and ended up back tracking to Pembroke Dock travel lodge.
On day two I decided the south coast of Wales from just past Tenby to the bridge out of Wales, just beyond Newport wasn't worth doing, but the A40 was, so popped to see my cousin in Brecon for a cuppa and then carried on doing the coast, getting to a pub, somewhere the South of Bude.
Day three we did Lands End thing, refusing to pay the man just for letting us through for the obligatory photo, then onto Lizard Point. The end of day three we stopped at my mates house in Christchurch.
Day four, we got as far as Brighton by lunchtime, it was unbelievably hot, I got stung by a wasp and got the face on with my travelling partner so told him I was going home
So, in answer to your question, I don't know, but it takes three and a half days from Flint to Brighton taking mostly the coast roads and not rushing.
herman

Post by herman »

If you need a brew or a stop off in Southampton ish give me a shout. The Dorset coast and round to Lymington is nice but the central south bit where we are is pretty industrialised with a few exceptions.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

I started a thread before I embarked on my 'around the coast' trip, but got a bit fed up of it before I went.
There's a book that was recommended by Redmurty (Spud) ...written by Nick Sanders... ...Parallel Coast.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

SHarper wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm I started a thread before I embarked on my 'around the coast' trip, but got a bit fed up of it before I went.
There's a book that was recommended by Redmurty (Spud) ...written by Nick Sanders... ...Parallel Coast.
I'll have a look for that although the last time I tried to read one of his books I found it heavy going.I'll need to read Mike Carter's "One man and his bike" again.Although he was cycling I enjoyed the book and I think that's what planted the seed in my head.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

As an alternative you might consider the Wild Atlantic Way, Causeway coastal route and the Mourne Coastal route - all linked to each other & if you started & finished in Dublin you could take in the remainder of the east coast of Ireland making a complete coastal circuit.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I've already done a complete circuit of Ireland over two separate holidays.I know some of the roads are probably shit but I'm just thinking of it as a bit of a challenge and knowing I've done it.It's a bonus trip I wasn't expecting to do and I've never seen most of England or Wales.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Most of the A39 from around Weston Super Mare (just SW of Bristol) down to Lands End is pretty good, a nice fast road 'out of season' with some really nice bits across Exmoor, past Bude and on down to Padstow has some detours or a proper nadgery (and slow) coast road. SW coast back from Lizard the A30 is a deent quick road but boring but again loads of cracking nadgery roads leading to proper Cornish coastal villages. Loads of places to stay but not cheap
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'm planning on camping all the way unless the weather is atrocious so not too worried about costs.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Fair enough Sprintster - should be a great trip. Did the Devon & Cornish coast many years ago & it was spectacular

Return to “TRAVEL”