Brilliant Idea.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
hornet

Re: Brilliant Idea.

Post by hornet »

captinktm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm
hornet wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 pm Looked at shipping costs but it would be for two bikes return from Bulgaria, it did represent a good time saving value as the 250s are dead slow.

But if we put that cost into a van then it gives us way more options. Weekends away in Wales, lakes Devon etc .

I drive 60,000 miles a year so used to big mileage and sharing the wheel with her ladyship is cool with me.

Shipping bikes or vaning them to get to the places you want to get to is fair play.

Mike
I am not sure what your point is Mike, I am talking about a single guy, so van or bike he still as to travel 6 to 8 days either way. I would never consider riding a 250 enduro from the uk to here, not even a 500 as some one did last year. The van or shipping is the answer. No this is the guy that has a adv bike and only 2 weeks off. He would rather spend that in the Taurus Mountains or the Carpathian mountains in Romania than slogging across Europe to arrive knackered with only a 6 day in the area he wanted to see most.
My point was that transporting bikes to get where you want to ride is no bad thing. most people are time limited so why spend days on motorways which we tend to dislike. My point was that for us it simply becomes a major expense so we traded that off against buying our own van which obviously has other uses to add into the bargain. I guess solo travellers could have an interest but most people do travel with others.
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
captinktm

Re: Brilliant Idea.

Post by captinktm »

hornet wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 pm
captinktm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm
hornet wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 pm Looked at shipping costs but it would be for two bikes return from Bulgaria, it did represent a good time saving value as the 250s are dead slow.

But if we put that cost into a van then it gives us way more options. Weekends away in Wales, lakes Devon etc .

I drive 60,000 miles a year so used to big mileage and sharing the wheel with her ladyship is cool with me.

Shipping bikes or vaning them to get to the places you want to get to is fair play.

Mike
I am not sure what your point is Mike, I am talking about a single guy, so van or bike he still as to travel 6 to 8 days either way. I would never consider riding a 250 enduro from the uk to here, not even a 500 as some one did last year. The van or shipping is the answer. No this is the guy that has a adv bike and only 2 weeks off. He would rather spend that in the Taurus Mountains or the Carpathian mountains in Romania than slogging across Europe to arrive knackered with only a 6 day in the area he wanted to see most.
My point was that transporting bikes to get where you want to ride is no bad thing. most people are time limited so why spend days on motorways which we tend to dislike. My point was that for us it simply becomes a major expense so we traded that off against buying our own van which obviously has other uses to add into the bargain. I guess solo travellers could have an interest but most people do travel with others.
Mike at no point have I said other wise, I was only pulling Steve's leg. I total agree that slogging two thousand mile too and from the Taurus Mountains is not fun, I should know having done it 3 times in a van and twice on a bike. But as I have been trying to tell you, your talking about a different arrangement.
I suggested this to a group I was guiding here last year which used the shipping guy. That they could use a firms van and I would fly in and drive the van over and back. Obviously in this case I would have been paid. The long and the short of it is that I have loads of time on my hands so thought I could help out. I am surprised there is not more cooperation on here. But I do understand the getting civi's to work as a team is a bit like herding cats :D

Return to “TRAVEL”