Off road near Grenoble?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Off road near Grenoble?

Post by SteveR »

Paul aka Bimbler and myself are pondering and researching a ride on the little bikes down to the Grenoble area, the aim being to ride some of the Balcony Roads and generally explore the narrow and off the beaten track areas and roads.

As we will both be on small 400 trail bikes, has anyone got any links or pointers to any off road riding in the area please?

I have an old friend with a Gite a few miles north of Voiron and we might look at at accommodation there, alternatively, it'll be cheap Premiere Classe type luxury.... compared to a tent in late April, ANY bed is luxury!! :D Both are bases are North of Grenoble.
PHILinFRANCE

Re: Off road near Grenoble?

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Just look for these Steve
https://montblanclive.com/wp_uploads/20 ... ge_GR.jpeg

GR routes or any other twin track that doesn't say "no"

http://www.gr-51.com/wp-content/uploads ... france.jpg
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Cheers Phil

So for clarification, the white and red flash means OK for vehicles? Or is it just a marker for the GR route?

Must wake my Wikiloc account up.... :-)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

That sounds like a great trip.....it's lovely round grenoble....have a good one....
herman

Post by herman »

SteveR wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm Cheers Phil

So for clarification, the white and red flash means OK for vehicles? Or is it just a marker for the GR route?

Just a marker mate, local restrictions apply. A GR can be a tarmac minor road down to a single track path up a rock face. In theory any two track is legal outside national parks and forests subject to local TRO type things but in reality all is good unless a sign says dont.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

There are a lot more restrictions in eastern France especially on the GRs. GRs sometimes turn into PRs and access is restricted by stiles or gates - there is usually a sign prohibiting vehicles but, whatever, don’t try these paths.

A lot more overzealous hikers in that part of the world so respect the restrictions but there is still plenty to ride, just a bit hard to plan in advance from maps.

Edit: most of the stuff I’ve ridden is around Hauteville-Lompnes which is a slightly different area.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

herman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 pm
SteveR wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm Cheers Phil

Just a marker mate, local restrictions apply. A GR can be a tarmac minor road down to a single track path up a rock face. In theory any two track is legal outside national parks and forests subject to local TRO type things but in reality all is good unless a sign says dont.
Thought it might, pretty sure I have seen them before whan wandering about the byways.... ;-) Need to have chat with my old buddy and see where he is driving his beloved Landies down there!!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Magnon wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 am There are a lot more restrictions in eastern France especially on the GRs. GRs sometimes turn into PRs and access is restricted by stiles or gates - there is usually a sign prohibiting vehicles but, whatever, don’t try these paths.

A lot more overzealous hikers in that part of the world so respect the restrictions but there is still plenty to ride, just a bit hard to plan in advance from maps.

Edit: most of the stuff I’ve ridden is around Hauteville-Lompnes which is a slightly different area.
"Overzealous" hikers, now where have I seen their English cousins...! :cry:

Sounds like look for twin track,unblocked lanes and tracks and go quickly and quietly :o
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Not aware of this issue here in SW France. You can basically ride wherever you like as long as there are no specific signs saying otherwise. We show lots of respect to horse-riders and hikers, just to keep the peace, but rarely meet any of them.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

chunky butt wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm That sounds like a great trip.....it's lovely round grenoble....have a good one....
Yeah, I rode the Route Napoleon 7-8 years ago on a Round France trip, and loved it :D We also rode some of the more obscure back roads in the area which are always my faves, and got us away from some of the Ninja types that were about later in the day. Just wondering if I can remember the camping site we stopped in, as it was a cracking location, but I suspect lost in the mist of time... and old age !! :roll:

Return to “TRAVEL”