Which hotel booking web site do you use?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
geoham

Re: Which hotel booking web site do you use?

Post by geoham »

We have always used Booking.com if using a website. Other times we have just pulled into a town and walked into a hotel we fancy and see if we get a good deal
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

geoham wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm We have always used Booking.com if using a website. Other times we have just pulled into a town and walked into a hotel we fancy and see if we get a good deal
I didn't know you could use booking.com for service station car parks off the M5 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like others, use booking.com to see what's available local and what the prices are then generally pop in to hotel to see if I can get a cheaper price.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

We kinda got our fingers burned last month with booking.com.

We were in Germany touring some Christmas markets when we searched on booking.com to find a hotel in the Harz mountains. We were searching through and found a suitable place, the price being 86 Euros.
When we actually logged into our account the price changed to £86. This was the same for all the other prices listed too.

Everthing was the same except that they now knew I was a sucker Brit
geoham

Post by geoham »

aliwakeskate wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm
geoham wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm We have always used Booking.com if using a website. Other times we have just pulled into a town and walked into a hotel we fancy and see if we get a good deal
I didn't know you could use booking.com for service station car parks off the M5 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like others, use booking.com to see what's available local and what the prices are then generally pop in to hotel to see if I can get a cheaper price.
Very good Al, I knew I could rely on you lol
Fulcrum_29

Post by Fulcrum_29 »

Most of the time, I use good ol' Google :mrgreen: it allows me to locate the hotels on the map quickly, and to get in touch with the hotel itself to make sure I don't have issues. I have been "pranked" by booking sites thrice, twice for hotels, once for plane tickets. Money left my bank account, I received the confirmation mail from the booking company, and got told that I didn't have anything in my name by the hotel or travel company. Now I contact everyone directly... I'm sure that most comparators and booking companies are fine, but I've become skittish.

Another think I like to do, when I go on a holiday because I've gotten a significant bonus at work, is to book a house through this company : https://tranio.com/rent/. It isn't something I can afford every day, of course, but when I can...
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Like others, I normally don't book in advance, or even on the day, as I never know how far I will travel and when I want to stop.

Last year, during my Four Corners trip, I used Booking.com for the first time: as I was getting close to a destination, I would stop for a break and look on Booking.com for something in the next town or two. This worked fine for most of the journey, however, on day four, I was travelling from Cuddington in Cheshire and arrived in Aberdeen at around 6 pm. Looked on Booking.com and there was nothing, so I widened the search... and again... and again up to 100 miles from Aberdeen: there was nothing except for some swanky place that wanted £350 for one night! I thought that a night in the airport lounge was in order... until I found out that they closed at 12:30 am. So I decided to just plough on to John o'Groats, another 200+ miles, arriving at 4:30 am and had a half-hour kip on a park bench before continuing on to Ullapool, ensuring that I made a reservation before setting off!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
3BsBiking

Post by 3BsBiking »

OB1 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:01 pm Like others, I normally don't book in advance, or even on the day, as I never know how far I will travel and when I want to stop.

Last year, during my Four Corners trip, I used Booking.com for the first time: as I was getting close to a destination, I would stop for a break and look on Booking.com for something in the next town or two. This worked fine for most of the journey, however, on day four, I was travelling from Cuddington in Cheshire and arrived in Aberdeen at around 6 pm. Looked on Booking.com and there was nothing, so I widened the search... and again... and again up to 100 miles from Aberdeen: there was nothing except for some swanky place that wanted £350 for one night! I thought that a night in the airport lounge was in order... until I found out that they closed at 12:30 am. So I decided to just plough on to John o'Groats, another 200+ miles, arriving at 4:30 am and had a half-hour kip on a park bench before continuing on to Ullapool, ensuring that I made a reservation before setting off!
It’s also worth knowing that there is a lot of accommodation on bdotcom that requires 24 hours notice so won’t show for bookings the same night. It doesn’t mean they don’t have availability, just that they want to be able to choose whether to accept guests at short notice (which they can’t do with bdotcom, they have to accept any booking) so if you find nothing, it is worth trying other online search options, including contacting places direct. As a last resort ask in the local pub!
Biker B&B and trail riding centre in the Limousin, France.

www.3BsBiking.com
jeffkdanies

Post by jeffkdanies »

Thanks for this great share. This site is a fantastic resource. Keep up the great work here at Sprint Connection!

Also best internet magazine
Toe

Post by Toe »

I normally hunt around a bit to find the best price and/or location for me. Airbnb, Kayak/Booking (same owner) and Expedia (who own Trivago and Hotels) are the ones I cycle through, usually in that order.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Booking.com for us....it's just so easy, and havnt had any bad experience yet......happy days...... :o not for me to promote internet companies ... :lol:

Return to “TRAVEL”