Motorcycling on Tenerife...

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
flamair

Motorcycling on Tenerife...

Post by flamair »

Hi all

Ok, I've booked a long weekend (Fri-Mon) for my missus' 40th birthday - to the Spanish island of Tenerife.

We'll be travelling in early March, and I've hired a BMW GS1200 :o for two days. So, my question is this. Can anyone recommend any routes, roads to ride, places to see, must see villages/towns/scenery/beaches etc.? Neither of us have been to Tenerife before, so we haven't a clue. I understand it's quite hard to find poor roads there, but would appreciate any feedback from you knowledgeable lot on here!!

I hasten to add, I've been touring abroad for almost 20 years, so am not a beginner. However, this is the first fly/ride thing I've booked.

Any help or suggestions would be massively appreciated!!

Ian
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Moorso

Re: Motorcycling on Tenerife...

Post by Moorso »

Hi Ian

Believe it or not I'm just back from Tenerife (although not motorcycling) as my father lives for part of the year there.
The island is split (literally) into two halves by the volcano and national park of Teide. The northern side of the island is much more traditional with the south very touristy.

For bike routes, head up into the mountain[s] and National Park (as well as the other volcanic parks like El Chinyero). My father has recommended that if you drive roads like the TF-24, TF-373 and the TF-21 with viewpoints like Montaña Blanca Sendero and Tabonal Negro. I've tried to list some other stuff below.

- If you want old authentic Tenerife, go to the Plaza del Adelantado in San Cristóbal de La Laguna. Bear with it….it is a square and surrounding building in the centre and east of the town and was the old capital of the island. The outskirts are modern (and ugly) and close to the north airport, but the centre has a unspoilt old town (also declared aUNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999). Catedral de Santa Iglesia, Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Concepción. was built in 1515. The Church of Our Lady of the Conception is the city's oldest church, built in 1502. Right beside the Square is the Monastery of Santa Catalina de Siena.

- NE most top if the island (mountainous) is Chamorga near the nature reserve of El Pijaral with a little restaurant called Casa Alvaro. It is located near a little church called Ermita de la Inmaculada Concepción. Lovely views apparently and also near the nature reserve.

- There are small towns like Garachico, which is picturesque and has some original architecture and also Santa Anna Church. Other towns include Masca, near which is Macizo de Teno (volcanic formation ) and Teno Rural Park.

- San Andres is built around an old centre and there are some nice restaurants there, but it is getting developed with modern developments.

- It might be a bit of a drive, but there are lava flows and lovely views (and lighthouse) of Punta de Teno on the NW side of the island.

- There is an area called Arafo to the NE side of the island with churches dating to the 1700’s: Parroquia San Juan Degollado and a chapel called La Capilla Sel Senor del Pino (which is quite a small innocuous little building apparently built around the base of an ancient pine tree hence its name).

- To the west of Santa Cruz is Buenavista de Norte in the middle of which is a picturesque square and associated church. My Dad often does walks here too along the coastal paths (if you’re into that sort of thing).

Don’t go thinking of Mediterranean type villages that are genuinely beautiful, Tenerife doesn’t really do them! (with the exception of the old town of San Cristóbal de La Laguna). They are at best rustic and at worst functional, but there is a charm in that.
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
royle100

Post by royle100 »

no experience of biking on the island, however found 21 routes on wikiloc which may be useful

https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/motorcyc ... e-tenerife
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."....Easy Rider
flamair

Post by flamair »

Thanks so much chaps - Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on here .

I will heed the advice and take some pics whilst there and maybe post on here!

IAn
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)

Return to “TRAVEL”