62 mph average?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
minkyhead

Re: 62 mph average?

Post by minkyhead »

i guess if he trolled up and down the motorway system he could easily achieve a 62mph average ..i rode from portmouth to southport last month on a crf250 and averaged 58mph ???

kind of shows that a small bike isnt that far behind when it comes to making distance despite the 72 and 115 mph top speeds
ImageDSC_0736 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

he must be well above the 62mph mark to average that as even on a mission you have to fuel up wee and eat even if they are only pit stops

best i ever averaged was 72 mph ...but that was moving average riding from slovakia to south port in one hit ...it wasnt a iron butt effort it was i was having a good time so stayed a extra two days and had to get home in the dark old days when i worked for living

i never strayed off the motorway networks except at the begining calaise and the end and the motorway systems in austria gemany were pretty much clear as bell

..and had a moving average of 72mph in 17hours and 35mins covering 1271 miles most of the 4 38 stop times was on the boat
im not sure how the maths stack up to be honest as even with 438 stop time the average was 58 mph ...that computes ok with his 62mph average but the maths say it can be done in 48 hours ..

if he was on motorways i think its doable but if hes on a roads and minor roads ...i think he gilding the lily a bit

not that it really matters

ImageDSC_0890 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

It's easy to see how difficult it is to catch up lost time. If you have a GPS and set a destination, and it then gives
you an ETA. Just watch how difficult it is to catch that ETA up if you hit traffic and your speed drops. Even a few
minutes is almost impossible.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

qcnr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 am It's easy to see how difficult it is to catch up lost time. If you have a GPS and set a destination, and it then gives
you an ETA. Just watch how difficult it is to catch that ETA up if you hit traffic and your speed drops. Even a few
I always try and beet the eta, and watch my average increase :lol: :lol:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

chunky butt wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 am
qcnr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 am It's easy to see how difficult it is to catch up lost time. If you have a GPS and set a destination, and it then gives
I always try and beet the eta, and watch my average increase :lol: :lol:
I always thought that was compulsory.
It’s not a guide, it’s a challenge.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

same here :lol:
Except one time driving back from UK to Norway (car). I stopped in Germany overnight at about
the halfway point to the ferry terminal at Hirtshals in Denmark. It should have taken about 6 hrs to DK,
so taking it easy along ze autobahn for the first 30 mins after leaving at about 09:30, and then hit traffic.
Not your average "it's going a bit slower now" but solid 3 lane not moving for as far as the eye could see.
Not to worry thinks I. Except after several hours and in which time I could have walked the distance I moved, quicker
that ETA started getting very close to the ferry departure time. Even turning up the AC couldn't stop me sweating now.
So get off the motorway and start making up time, but not enough as I keep hitting traffic again.
By the time the roads clear up and I'm back on the motorway I'm near Denmark (about 3.5 hrs to ferry) and
ETA is showing 21:30 :shock: The boat leaves at 20:15 :o :o :shock: So dash and splash fuel stop for a full tank.
Buckle up, engine on, all front lights on and launch. Luckily I had a hire car, Subaru Forrester diesel boxer. I can tell you that fucker
flew. Luckily there were about 20 cars on the motorway in the whole of Denmark :lol: I think I averaged about 180km/ h
for that stint, and checked in at the ferry terminal at just after 19:45...

Yepp hire cars are the fastest cars in the world. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I've never done any of this Iron Butt stuff (not my thing) but back in the days when a group of us rode sports bikes to watch Endurance races at the Bol D'Or, Spa, Assen etc - on one occasion we fuelled up just before entering Belgium from France. We stayed on motorways throughout and just blasted across the country, entering Holland exactly 1 hour and one tank of fuel later. 8 bikes riding within 20 yards of each other at up to 150mph - crazy but an interesting experience to reflect on. Some people might say that an hour spent in Belgium is more than enough anyway, but personally I don't mind the place.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

its not that easy to gain on the sat navs eta in dear old bighty with the traffick ..

one point in germany i was on the unrestricted autbahn and decided to up the anti .... but a honda varadero pushing air at 110mph produced a fuel light at 80miles instead of 150 at a steady 85mph ..so what i gained in distance was shot down by feul stops ..the petrol light coming on after 40 mins does not help much with overall average .i only did one tank at that speed .. was surprised how much more it cost in feul for another 30mph

costs a lot in concentration and fatiiuge too
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

minkyhead wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 am its not that easy to gain on the sat navs eta in dear old bighty with the traffick ..

one point in germany i was on the unrestricted autbahn and decided to up the anti .... but a honda varadero pushing air at 110mph produced a fuel light at 80miles instead of 150 at a steady 85mph ..so what i gained in distance was shot down by feul stops ..the petrol light coming on after 40 mins does not help much with overall average .i only did one tank at that speed .. was surprised how much more it cost in feul for another 30mph

costs a lot in concentration and fatiiuge too
The reason you were using so much fuel is the trucks slip streaming behind you :lol:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

dave h wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:38 pm average speed claims are a girls test of speed and endurance,
don't really count for owt,

puffs.

dave.
Uh? of course they are.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

have you ever noticed .. following a little old lady in a ka .. you overtake, eventually, and gun it, go mad for a few miles .. only for the ka to slowly pull up behind you at the lights :lol:

the wind resistance increases by the square? in relation to speed
which is why it is so difficult to get bikes up to speeds approaching 200mph (like you do)
The power increase needed is also at least `squared`
so the petrol intake has to be increased in relation

pottering along at 50mph on my crf250L will return 100+ mpg
screaming along :lol: at 60mph will return 75- mpg
yet will only get me there a few minutes earlier?
70mph will see 40s or 50 mpg.

then there is the wear on brakes, engine, tyres, chain, etc and stress to the rider.
so I tend to do around 55mph .. and hopefully reducing tyre wear too

my 750 will easily do 77mpg at legal speeds
and 80-85mpg taking it really easy in Drive mode.
as it is running at lower revs, with a bigger engine.

the 750 will easily do a running drive average of 60mph, and you can keep going on it, all day. (80mpg)
my 250 is really hard work going `fast` at 60mph or 70mph, and very tiring through stress. (60-70?mpg)
a 2 stroke? ... 30-40mpg?

so? ... be cool? 8-) :lol:

Return to “TRAVEL”