Plans for 2018?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
herman

Re: Plans for 2018?

Post by herman »

I have a good airbnb details just outside Dubrovnik if you need?
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
geoham

Post by geoham »

With Brittany ferries announcing that they are starting the Cork to Santander ferry route from April on I think we will be looking at booking.
That gives us the option of either Spain or Portugal on the bike for a few weeks.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

sprintster wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 am
sprintster wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 pm Now that I'm all sorted with a trailer for my bike I've now decided to head for Norway for our summer holidays.Camping all the way with a bit of luxury like a proper air bed and plenty of room to carry a few boxes of wine to cut down on costs!
Usually when I've travelled abroad before I've been on my own and happy to blast along all day putting in big miles but only getting a fleeting glance at the scenery.I'm taking my girlfriend abroad on a bike for the first time this year though and I think I'm at the stage now where I will be happy to take my time,just relaxing and having plenty of stops and not do great mileages.The plan is to stay around the fjord region and stay put for two nights at a time so the following day we can get in a mountain hike.Something else that wasn't really possible before I got the trailer. :)
Sod it,I'm not good at relaxing and taking it easy! Change of plans again after reading an article in Bike from a guy who rode to Nordkapp.He's been all over the world and reckons the roads up north are the best in the world.We've only got 9 and a half days in Norway so won't manage Nordkapp but the plan now is to at least make it to the arctic circle.6 days riding up through the fjords and along the coast to Bodo and 3 and a half days back down to Oslo seems doable. :D
If you can, do it the other way around. Or go up via Sweden, faster better roads, then come down the coast.
You can take the ferry from Stavanger overnight to Hirtshals or continue to kristiansand and take a fast ferry to
Hirtshals to get back to the mainland. If you insist on going to Oslo (can't imagine why? :? ) Then you can also
consider a ferry to Germany. The W coast of DK isn't too bad either.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Off to India in a couple of weeks (flying) fora bit of sun.

Several bike trips planned through the Spring and Summer (on and off road). Hopefully, some classic bike runs on the newly refurbed BSA.

Longer bike trip in September down to Dubrovnik, Budapest and maybe Venice if time allows.

Other objectives:

Avoid stressful clients
Get paid for all the work I do (fed up with being a charity)
Go trail riding every weekend, rain or shine
Stay off the booze
Avoid the M tet
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

sprintster wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 pm Now that I'm all sorted with a trailer for my bike I've now decided to head for Norway for our summer holidays.Camping all the way with a bit of luxury like a proper air bed and plenty of room to carry a few boxes of wine to cut down on costs!
Usually when I've travelled abroad before I've been on my own and happy to blast along all day putting in big miles but only getting a fleeting glance at the scenery.I'm taking my girlfriend abroad on a bike for the first time this year though and I think I'm at the stage now where I will be happy to take my time,just relaxing and having plenty of stops and not do great mileages.The plan is to stay around the fjord region and stay put for two nights at a time so the following day we can get in a mountain hike.Something else that wasn't really possible before I got the trailer. :)
Sod it,I'm not good at relaxing and taking it easy! Change of plans again after reading an article in Bike from a guy who rode to Nordkapp.He's been all over the world and reckons the roads up north are the best in the world.We've only got 9 and a half days in Norway so won't manage Nordkapp but the plan now is to at least make it to the arctic circle.6 days riding up through the fjords and along the coast to Bodo and 3 and a half days back down to Oslo seems doable. :D
I managed basically Oslo to Oslo via the Nordkapp in 9 and half days, returning via Hammerfest, the Lofoten isles, the Trollstigen and Geiranger. I was solo and had long days. After all, it was 24 hour daylight. The roads north of the Arctic Circle are the best, but there again, so are the ones to the south.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

qcnr wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:37 am
If you can, do it the other way around. Or go up via Sweden, faster better roads, then come down the coast.
You can take the ferry from Stavanger overnight to Hirtshals or continue to kristiansand and take a fast ferry to
Hirtshals to get back to the mainland. If you insist on going to Oslo (can't imagine why? :? ) Then you can also
consider a ferry to Germany. The W coast of DK isn't too bad either.
I know when you look on somewhere like Via Michelin or AA Route Planner they recommend going via Sweden but most things I've read have said the roads are pretty dull,mostly riding through forests with no views (or maybe that's Finland! :lol: ) My preference would be to meander up and then if I find I'm running out of time just blast back (in Norwegian terms! :lol: ) The only reason I was going to Oslo was because if I do it clockwise the ferry times work in better and it saves two hours riding past the first available ferry.I've still got another 1000 miles to go home by that stage.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Spike941 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:34 pm
I managed basically Oslo to Oslo via the Nordkapp in 9 and half days, returning via Hammerfest, the Lofoten isles, the Trollstigen and Geiranger. I was solo and had long days. After all, it was 24 hour daylight. The roads north of the Arctic Circle are the best, but there again, so are the ones to the south.
If I was travelling alone I might just power on through,but Nordkapp is 6000 miles in 16 days for me.It's supposed to be a holiday for us both not just an endurance test.The Lofoten islands are definitely on my bucket list though so I'm just going to have work my holiday dates out better in future. :)

Return to “TRAVEL”