Bosnia

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
vRSG60

Bosnia

Post by vRSG60 »

Following on from my Bari > Dubrovnik ferry post, next year 2 of us are thinking of taking the ferry to Dubrovnik then clipping the corner of Montenegro and into Bosnia then up through Bosnia to Croatia and cut the corner of Hungary and not sure where then. Purely to tick a few country boxes.
Is it worth a ride through Bosnia? Looking on Google it looks a flat plane and a right sh1t hole. The coast road up through Croatia looks more appealing then into Slovenia. There are some cracking places along the coast up to Split.
We could still do a day or 2 into Montenegro from Dubrovnik then onto Mostar and back to the coast.

Or maybe just take the Ancona > Zadar ferry and dip into Bosnia that way. We'll be staying near Anzio so not much in it to either port.

Any thoughts either way welcome.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
herman

Re: Bosnia

Post by herman »

Both times we have been in that neck of the woods we followed the coast and headed inland when the fancy took us. There are some awesome roads from the coast over the mountains/hills then you can pick up the toll road that runs the length of Croatia. The D8 will take you at least two days and whilst stunning gets a bit busy and slow at times so we picked our bits. There are some easy gravel tracks inland too one especially from Zadar/Obrovak which Clive did on a VFR and me on an S10. We chose that route as you get to do Slovenia from top to toe. If you head up through Bosnia though then you can do the mountains proper to Zagreb possibly then onto Austria ? Dooby (frgich) off here and ADV has a place there and has some good routes planned. His insurance services could be worth a gander, ours covered Croatia but not Bosnia and Montenegro and there were no offices at the border crossings large or small.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

As Herman implies, sort your insurance out in the U.K. Before you travel.....I came unstuck this year in June.
Head into the mountains, avoiding the tourists on the coast road......you won't be disappointed.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Thanks to you both. I’ll call over and pick your brains before we go Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

On our Croatia trip earlier this year we ventured through Bosnia. I think we entered near a place called Bihać, bimbled in the direction of Sarajevo, stopping at a weird motel (no. 9), then heading for Mostar to see the bridge ( I didn't bother leaving the bikes to view the bridge and it was snided with tourists), then made a dash for the coast stopping just short of Dubrovnik in a brilliant little place (whose name I can't remember, but will in my ride report, which I've yet to do) before using public transport(!) into Dubrovnik to save carting our gear around.
Bosnia in a nutshell:- There wasn't anywhere to buy insurance at the border. It felt at first quite oppressive, bullet hole riddled buildings a plenty. The speed limits aren't consistent. Sarajevo was a very busy place. After Sarajevo the countryside seemed to get more picturesque, lakes, valleys so on and so forth.
The coast road up through Croatia gives beautiful views but by 'eck it's slow going, especially if it's hot and we headed inland thinking it'd be cooler (it wasn't) but it was faster going.
I'll get my finger out in the next few days with a report, promise...
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

Mostar is on the flood plane of the River Neretva so the trip up to there from Dubrovnik is quite flat but then you get into the Dinaric Alps, which are well worth a visit.
Attachments
IMGP5768.JPG
IMGP5768.JPG (151.74 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
IMGP5765.JPG
IMGP5765.JPG (163.95 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
IMGP5748.JPG
IMGP5748.JPG (157.36 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

Return to “TRAVEL”