EDC Morocco, Africa, 2018. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
chubbyhooker

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2018. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by chubbyhooker »

AF107134-FD54-424B-9620-B80A923D458F.jpeg
AF107134-FD54-424B-9620-B80A923D458F.jpeg (115.99 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
SteveRST wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm
micksea wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 ammyself,halfpint,chubbyhooker and griff097 (not sure about the other guys) are going out on the Portsmouth to santander boat on Friday 5/10/18
Hi guys - I'm on the same ferry as you.
They'll be quite a few of us on that sailing then. What are everyone's plans for travelling on from Santander? I've no firm plans but was considering trying to wild camp if the weather looks like it'll be ok.

Looking forward to this but also apprehensive as I'm definitely a newbie to this and this'll be my first time taking the bike on a trip like this - in fact furthest I've been on this bike (CRF250L) is about 100 miles :lol: so I've bought loads of stuff that has not be tried and tested before... and I'm unsure if I've got the right gear to wear... but hopefully it'll be ok!

Thanks for posting the info on all the gear you're taking Keith! Very useful.
Will pack the bike this weekend and see how everything fits. I'm not planning to take stove/cooking gear or chair or airbed. Don't think I could fit it in - my panniers are only 15L each side! Are others taking this stuff? Actually I'll get a little stool - something to sit on!

Anyone else using a Garmin Zumo satnav? It's new to me, but I've downloaded the Morocco map from here http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php and installed to Basecamp. Then basecamp seems to have installed the map to my Satnav, but I'm not totally convinced. I need to look in to this more.

Not long now !

Steve
Attachments
ECAB13F9-6038-4DEC-B6FD-06175387C103.jpeg
ECAB13F9-6038-4DEC-B6FD-06175387C103.jpeg (230.23 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
micksea

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2018. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by micksea »

that looks like my packing job except i never thought to get a rubber chicken :shock:
chubbyhooker

Post by chubbyhooker »

I thought you never went anywhere without your rubber chicken........"..............you’ve changed !!!
micksea

Post by micksea »

i"ve been making a huge effort to grow up,with pete"s influence its having the effect that you might expect :lol: :lol: :lol:
chubbyhooker

Post by chubbyhooker »

SteveRST wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm
micksea wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 ammyself,halfpint,chubbyhooker and griff097 (not sure about the other guys) are going out on the Portsmouth to santander boat on Friday 5/10/18
Hi guys - I'm on the same ferry as you.
They'll be quite a few of us on that sailing then. What are everyone's plans for travelling on from Santander? I've no firm plans but was considering trying to wild camp if the weather looks like it'll be ok.

Looking forward to this but also apprehensive as I'm definitely a newbie to this and this'll be my first time taking the bike on a trip like this - in fact furthest I've been on this bike (CRF250L) is about 100 miles :lol: so I've bought loads of stuff that has not be tried and tested before... and I'm unsure if I've got the right gear to wear... but hopefully it'll be ok!

Thanks for posting the info on all the gear you're taking Keith! Very useful.
Will pack the bike this weekend and see how everything fits. I'm not planning to take stove/cooking gear or chair or airbed. Don't think I could fit it in - my panniers are only 15L each side! Are others taking this stuff? Actually I'll get a little stool - something to sit on!

Anyone else using a Garmin Zumo satnav? It's new to me, but I've downloaded the Morocco map from here http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php and installed to Basecamp. Then basecamp seems to have installed the map to my Satnav, but I'm not totally convinced. I need to look in to this more.

Not long now !

Steve
I’ve only done 8 miles on mine & dought I’ll manage any more before thurs , I’ve only had it a few days & devalued it by about £1k
Steve you’ll be thankful for a sleeping mat I have an exped it’s bit expensive but packs small , & also it’s a real pain not having something to sit on, helinox are the best for packing size but again a bit expensive, but there are cheap Chinese rip offs for about £19 & you’ll be thankfull when me & halfpint sit you down & tell you about our tiling jobs ............don’t forget leather chaps & a gimp mask ............
micksea

Post by micksea »

i wasn't going to take a chair but changed my mind last week and bought a Chinese copy off amazon for £21 delivered.As for a sleeping mat that packs small i was looking at the alpkit numo but i was in decathlon getting some lightweight trousers and spotted their forclaz 700 trek mat,they do a short and long version but the packed size isn't different enough to justify the short one so i got the long version,it packs up about the size of a can of coke (probably the same as the one wibo pictured but might be a diffent name)

EDIT just looked back through the thread and the mat is the same as wibo"s only mine is yellow
Mactavish

Post by Mactavish »

Steve , I'll be on a crf 250 l and I'd have to do a few laps of Jersey to get up to a hundred miles ......so am un tested as well !
7 more sleeps before I set off .
Have probably taken all the wrong gear and a wee bit over loaded , but I have packed lighter than previous trips . ( Never on a wee bike has to said )
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

well i have done 12 miles on my bike , never left home before and dont talk to strangers, mummy said always sit on a chair not on there knee . after the man with the gold track suit fixed it for me !!! :shock: :shock: mick I see you are starting to stalk wibo ,lets hope you dont go in the wrong tent !!!
micksea

Post by micksea »

remind me who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you seem to be of a nervous disposition but don"t worry.....me and keith will take you under our wings and take care of you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SteveRST

Post by SteveRST »

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm off to decathlon today to get a chair/stool, sleeping mat or air bed, and some padded boxer shorts :D

Then to the pound shop for soups, 3-in1 coffee, cereal bars and any other scraps I can find.

Running two 15L kreiga soft panniers and a 30L Lomo bag on the back. 2.5L spare fuel can (as even with the Acerbis fuel tank it still only holds about 13L).

Have fitted new TKC80 and heavy duty tubes. Bringing spare tubes and repair kit and tyre levers (I've never changed a motorcycle tyre :oops: ). Spare throttle and clutch cables and levers acquired.

First proper pack will be Sunday so fingers crossed it all finds a place on the bike! Will post some photos Sunday of the steed.

Gave the new tent a test erection :roll: . Seems alright and just 1.7kg.
20180927_191657.jpg
20180927_191657.jpg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 2985 times

Return to “TRAVEL”