EDC Morocco, Africa, 2018. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveRST

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2018. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by SteveRST »

micksea wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 ammyself,halfpint,chubbyhooker and griff097 (not sure about the other guys) are going out on the Portsmouth to santander boat on Friday 5/10/18
Hi guys - I'm on the same ferry as you.
They'll be quite a few of us on that sailing then. What are everyone's plans for travelling on from Santander? I've no firm plans but was considering trying to wild camp if the weather looks like it'll be ok.

Looking forward to this but also apprehensive as I'm definitely a newbie to this and this'll be my first time taking the bike on a trip like this - in fact furthest I've been on this bike (CRF250L) is about 100 miles :lol: so I've bought loads of stuff that has not be tried and tested before... and I'm unsure if I've got the right gear to wear... but hopefully it'll be ok!

Thanks for posting the info on all the gear you're taking Keith! Very useful.
Will pack the bike this weekend and see how everything fits. I'm not planning to take stove/cooking gear or chair or airbed. Don't think I could fit it in - my panniers are only 15L each side! Are others taking this stuff? Actually I'll get a little stool - something to sit on!

Anyone else using a Garmin Zumo satnav? It's new to me, but I've downloaded the Morocco map from here http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php and installed to Basecamp. Then basecamp seems to have installed the map to my Satnav, but I'm not totally convinced. I need to look in to this more.

Not long now !

Steve
micksea

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2018. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by micksea »

you might want to consider taking some kind of sleeping mat,sleeping on hard cold ground will wear you down after a few nights.when we get off the boat we will be riding the 150 miles to valadolid to meet keith and a few others,hoping to get there around 9pm and probably get a hotel,a meal and a beer.im using a zumo 660 too for the road down spain and a 64s for morocco (or a combination of both) we can have a chat and a beer on the ferry :)
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

TAKE A MAT OR YOU WILL BE IN A BAD MOOD ALL DAY . As for the rest see how it goes hotel and meal first night . I shall bring a golden shower and hot tub , chubby has man cream , mick is the fastest so just follow him !! the rest will hands on . :?:
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Hi Steve I applaud your Minimalist packing style, but your on Holiday Bud, not a endurance event. Your defo Going to need a airbed something that inflates to 4/5cm theres loads of painful stones to poke you in the hip/back etc. A chair at the end of the day is worth its weight in gold, I guess you could skimp on the stove as everyone will have one so bring a mug some soups and those breacky cereal bars are awesome I stash loads all over the place. I think by the looks of it there are 3 wild camping nights and it could increase by a night if a flat tyre happens late in the day, So you need to get a decent nights Kip :)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

SteveRST wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm
micksea wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 ammyself,halfpint,chubbyhooker and griff097 (not sure about the other guys) are going out on the Portsmouth to santander boat on Friday 5/10/18
Hi guys - I'm on the same ferry as you.
They'll be quite a few of us on that sailing then. What are everyone's plans for travelling on from Santander? I've no firm plans but was considering trying to wild camp if the weather looks like it'll be ok.

Looking forward to this but also apprehensive as I'm definitely a newbie to this and this'll be my first time taking the bike on a trip like this - in fact furthest I've been on this bike (CRF250L) is about 100 miles :lol: so I've bought loads of stuff that has not be tried and tested before... and I'm unsure if I've got the right gear to wear... but hopefully it'll be ok!

Thanks for posting the info on all the gear you're taking Keith! Very useful.
Will pack the bike this weekend and see how everything fits. I'm not planning to take stove/cooking gear or chair or airbed. Don't think I could fit it in - my panniers are only 15L each side! Are others taking this stuff? Actually I'll get a little stool - something to sit on!

Anyone else using a Garmin Zumo satnav? It's new to me, but I've downloaded the Morocco map from here http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php and installed to Basecamp. Then basecamp seems to have installed the map to my Satnav, but I'm not totally convinced. I need to look in to this more.

Not long now !

Steve

Eve'nin Steve....

Just a couple of questions.....

Are your panniers soft or hard? If hard you could sit on one of those? Nice to have a chair though that you can lean back on.

As for stove etc...it's your call whatever level of comfort you want to have. Water and cereal bars can be stuffed in anywhere and scoffed as we're wild camping in bouts of one evening or two max. If there's a mechanical problem or punctures there'll be a delay. In reality I allow one puncture one hour....... three punctures ...three hours delay.

A Decathlon type mattress as in my images....it's the size of a beer can and can be laid out on top of your moto kit once spread out. Cold and wet weather kit will need to be thought about, it can be wet and Baltic whilst traversing Spain.

If you look at the routes; they're planned to allow camping, day off after and then road work to commence the cycle again. This allows to get rested.

Personally I enjoy a cuppa soup and bread at night whilst sitting ridiculing people and the next morning a coffee and biscuits whilst leaning back on my chair. As I state, it's your call. I'll not see you stuck for a coffee etc.

Water is the big consideration.... 4x bottles at any one time plus camel back. Without camel back one finds it hard to know when to stop the whole group for you to have a drink.

With those wee CRF saddles you could consider the likes of what Roger has on his moto? Sheep skin along with cheap Decathlon blue product cycle shorts? Or at the minimum shorts.?

For OSM maps...I take it you can, like my Garmin Montana, go into Settings...Maps...then click 'enable' the OSM map? Enter, for example 'Rabat' and see if the map appears on screen?

As for your gear.... normal riding kit with built in protection, woolly socks and winter gloves along with a one piece over suit should suffice. Motocross type boots rather than Army type boots are essential .

I'll be adding stuff to Page One next week....co-ords of hotels etc ..I'll mention it when I've done it.

Don't worry we'll keep you right on your first big ride on your moto....this is why I offer ...so folk can experience a ride with some semblance of advice.

Any other points or questions by all means just ask...we'll all help you.

Above all enjoy it and take whatever occurs in your stride. That's what the rest of us will be doing; :D

baaaaa
Last edited by WIBO on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

qwerty wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm Hi Steve I applaud your Minimalist packing style, but your on Holiday Bud, not a endurance event. Your defo Going to need a airbed something that inflates to 4/5cm theres loads of painful stones to poke you in the hip/back etc. A chair at the end of the day is worth its weight in gold, I guess you could skimp on the stove as everyone will have one so bring a mug some soups and those breacky cereal bars are awesome I stash loads all over the place. I think by the looks of it there are 3 wild camping nights and it could increase by a night if a flat tyre happens late in the day, So you need to get a decent nights Kip :)

' You're ' doing that again Stop it!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Will It Buff Out?
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

WIBO wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:06 pm
qwerty wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm Hi Steve I applaud your Minimalist packing style, but your on Holiday Bud, not a endurance event. Your defo Going to need a airbed something that inflates to 4/5cm theres loads of painful stones to poke you in the hip/back etc. A chair at the end of the day is worth its weight in gold, I guess you could skimp on the stove as everyone will have one so bring a mug some soups and those breacky cereal bars are awesome I stash loads all over the place. I think by the looks of it there are 3 wild camping nights and it could increase by a night if a flat tyre happens late in the day, So you need to get a decent nights Kip :)

Sorry Boss your right

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can feel the penetrating stare from here ...
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

qwerty wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 pm
WIBO wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Sorry Boss your right

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can feel the penetrating stare from here ...

aaagggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will It Buff Out?
BobH

Post by BobH »

micksea wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 am myself,halfpint,chubbyhooker and griff097 (not sure about the other guys) are going out on the Portsmouth to santander boat on Friday 5/10/18 myself and halfpint are coming back on the 24/10/18 bilboa to Portsmouth (not sure what everyone else is doing)
+1 0n those sailings.
micksea

Post by micksea »

see you on the dockside or in the bar :D

Return to “TRAVEL”