Payage

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
PADDYTFIELD

Payage

Post by PADDYTFIELD »

Hi
Anybody else concerned about using a debit /credit card at the payage/toll roads which do NOT require a pin?
Paddy :?
Billy Bananahead

Re: Payage

Post by Billy Bananahead »

We've never had a problem using the automated peage. Just put the ticket in, then your card and you'll get a printed receipt.
What are your concerns? Getting scammed? Overcharged? Cloned?
PADDYTFIELD

Post by PADDYTFIELD »

Hi
Thanks for reply,probably all the above,we mostly chucked cash in as it was easier for my missus on the back to pay for the tolls,
But I did notice some odd transactions on my bank statement a couple of months later;not large amounts, if there was a fraud how would you stand.Just paranoid I guess.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I’ve just got one of these bip and go badges for the telepeage which works really well. Most peages you don’t even need to stop, no fiddling with gloves and cards and the badge is registered on your bank account (works with a UK account if you wish).
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

No, never a problem using a card, you can choose to have a receipt printed if you're bothered.

You say you noticed some odd transactions on your bank statement, did you not question your bank about this ? Could they be transaction charges for using a UK card outside the country ?
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Magnon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm I’ve just got one of these bip and go badges for the telepeage which works really well. Most peages you don’t even need to stop, no fiddling with gloves and cards and the badge is registered on your bank account (works with a UK account if you wish).
Used one in the car where its stuck to the inside of the screen. Straight through the 30kph lane without stopping.
Where do you keep it on the bike?
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I use one of these which works well https://www.motopass.eu/achat-en-ligne/
Oop North John

Re: Peage

Post by Oop North John »

Magnon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm I’ve just got one of these bip and go badges for the telepeage which works really well. Most peages you don’t even need to stop, no fiddling with gloves and cards and the badge is registered on your bank account (works with a UK account if you wish).
Tried one of those in the tank bag. I'll guess that it wasn't at the right height for it as more often than not the toll booth scanner didn't see it. For me it ended up quicker and easier to pay using the credit card.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I found using the motopass thingy that 9 times out of 10 I didn’t even have to take my hand off the bars - was very reliable in the t30 lanes where you usually hear the bleep about 20 metres before the barrier.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

We had some fun and games in France a couple of years ago.
We had only gone off for a coffee but No cash option and, as ever in France, my credit card wasn't accepted.
Had to leave the car at the booth and walk 50 yards to phone the customer services, tell them where I had come from and pay over the phone and they printed out a card (I think).
We had toyed with a prepaid option and wished we had by then.

Pinless works ok on the M6 toll but drive through has to be best if it's secure on a bike.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “TRAVEL”