Alaska 2018

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Sgt Bilco

Alaska 2018

Post by Sgt Bilco »

I didn't manage to do an Alaska trip this year for one reason and another but as many of you know, I like to show people what a brilliant place this is to ride so it's time we visited this brilliant place again. I ran this particular route in 2016 and it was probably the best trip I've done as it's a perfect mix of everything Alaska, Canada and the Pacific North West has to offer.

I've managed to reduce my normal Alaska trip to 3 weeks which should be better for a lot of people. To do this, we are going to fly the bikes directly into Anchorage as it gives us more time up in Alaska itself. We will then ride some stunning roads and through the most fantastic scenery you will ever see back down to Santa Rosa California where we will ship the bikes home.

However, the eagle eyed amongst you will note that details below say it's 4 weeks. This is because there is an option to do the Dalton Highway if you fly in a week early. The Dalton is a 500 mile each way dirt road up to Prudhoe Bay and is a real challenge so we will do this separately and before the rest of the trip.

After the Dalton, those doing it will ride back over to Anchorage. If you don't want to do the Dalton Highway, you fly in a week later and collect your bike and the rest of the trip is 3 weeks long, is all tarmac and suitable for just about any bike. You are also free to sort your own route out and meet us back in Santa Rosa to ship home.

If you want to ride the Dalton, you will need an Adventure type bike with the correct tyres. It's a tough old place so we prepare very thoroughly for that. The rest of the trip can be done on any type of bike and already have an BMW S1000XR and an RT signed up. It can get a bit rough in places but it's more important you are comfy on your own bike and road tyres are no problem.

This trip is definitely a go-er as I've had a few people badger me to do it and have signed up. Hardly a hardship but there you go.

Here is a basic overview of the route but if you want more details, please PM me with your e-mail and I'll get it across to you.

Including Dalton Highway

Friday 13th July - Fly in
Saturday 14th July - Collect bikes from airport and check over
Sunday 15th July - Ride to Fairbanks
Monday 16th July - Prep bikes and Dalton Hwy to Wiseman
Tuesday 17th July - Wiseman - Prudhoe Bay - Wiseman
Wednesday 18th July - Wiseman – Fairbanks
Thursday 19th July - Day off to check bikes over
Friday 20th July - Back to Anchorage and meet up with road riders

Road Trip Only

Friday 20th July - Fly in
Saturday 21st July - Collect bikes from airport and meet up with Dalton Riders
Sunday 22nd July - Hwy 1 through Kenai to Homer
Monday 23rd July - Back through Anchorage to Palmer
Tuesday 24th July - The Glenn Highway to Valdez
Wednesday 25th July - Glenn Highway to Tok
Thursday 26th July - Top of the World Highway to Dawson City
Friday 27th July - Day off in Dawson City which is an old gold mining town
Saturday 28th July - Klondike Highway to Whitehorse
Sunday 29th July - To Skagway
Monday 30th July - Alcan Highway to Watson Lake
Tuesday 31st July - Cassiar Highway to Hyder
Wednesday 1st August - Salmon Tail Glacier Hyder
Thursday 2nd August - Hwy 37 and Hwy 16 to Van Der Hoof
Friday 3rd August - Hwy 16 and Mt Robson to Jasper
Saturday 4th August - Icefields Pky, Athabasca Glacier and Lake Louise to Radium Hot Springs
Sunday 5th August - Back into the USA to Colville
Monday 6th August - Cascade mountains to White Pass
Tuesday 7th August - Past Mt St Helens to Governmnet Camp
Wednesday 8th August - Through Crater lake National Park to Fort Klamath
Thursday 9th August - Great Central CA roads Hwy 36 to Eureka
Friday 10th August - Pacific Coast Highway, Giant Redwoods to Santa Rosa.
Saturday 11th August - Drop bikes off and Fly Home

PM me for full details shipping prices etc etc.

Just a note, if you don't want to do this route, I'm happy enough just to ship your bike there and back as I always have a few spare slots.
Roads to Valdez.JPG
Roads to Valdez.JPG (116.87 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
All at Prudhoe 2013 back up large.jpg
All at Prudhoe 2013 back up large.jpg (260.49 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
Crater1.JPG
Crater1.JPG (123.15 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
DavidS

Re: Alaska 2018

Post by DavidS »

I've only been to Alaska and Canada in motorhomes but if you're thinking of going, DO IT!!
Fantastic place if you like civilised remoteness.
I've not got the opportunity at the moment but I would love to do it sometime.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
RandG

Post by RandG »

Sgt, I'm still awaiting a reply via email when I sent you it via a PM on the GS forum after you had your presentation.....where ever it was that I couldn't make. ;)

(Cabby on the GS forum)
Sgt Bilco

Post by Sgt Bilco »

If anyone fancies a ride out on Saturday 4th November, I'll be at Adventure Bike Warehouse in Manchester from 10.00am and will do a small presentation on this trip and all things North America from 13.00hrs. www.adventurebikewarehouse.co.uk.

Happy to chat about all things relating to riding stateside, bike shipping, routing etc etc so roll up for a hot dog, coffee and a good blather about riding some epic roads.
Sgt Bilco

Post by Sgt Bilco »

All PM's replied to.

Return to “TRAVEL”