Offline Maps for iPad

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Ade-G

Offline Maps for iPad

Post by Ade-G »

I'm looking for some map advice.

For the past ten years of European motorcycle touring I've always carried a large folding paper map for each country I visit. As you can imagine, these take up useful space and add weight to the bike. I thought it's about time I moved into the 21st century.

Can anyone recommend an offline map that I can keep on my iPad. Something similar to an AA roadmap of Europe but in PDF format would do.

Google maps are great but it's reliant on me downloading the area I'm going to be in the night before. This isn't always possible with slow or non existent hotel wifi.

Cheers

P.S I also want to ditch my heavy paperback European phrase book.
Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not after you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156038203@N07/
Hugh

Re: Offline Maps for iPad

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

On my Motorola G3 Android and Nokia Windows phones I use an application called Here which I have found to be excellent. I have used it in France, Czechoslovakia, Canada, North America and most recently last week up in Scotland :lol:

The application is free to download plus free updates and it seems to work on most 'platforms'. It can be used for city walking, city transit as well as a motor sat nav. I have tried out against a number of car sat nav systems and every time it is comparable if not superior.

Take a look at the following link which I hope may be of help to you;

https://here.com/en/products-services/c ... e-wego-app

TTFN

Hugh.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Maps me on iTunes. Used the Florida version this year. Route planning too, but limited
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Hugh wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm Greetings,

On my Motorola G3 Android and Nokia Windows phones I use an application called Here which I have found to be excellent. I have used it in France, Czechoslovakia, Canada, North America and most recently last week up in Scotland :lol:

The application is free to download plus free updates and it seems to work on most 'platforms'. It can be used for city walking, city transit as well as a motor sat nav. I have tried out against a number of car sat nav systems and every time it is comparable if not superior.

Take a look at the following link which I hope may be of help to you;

https://here.com/en/products-services/c ... e-wego-app

TTFN

Hugh.
Here's another vote for the Here App.

It used to be Nokia maps and I believe is actually Garmin maps.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Ade-G

Post by Ade-G »

Thanks for the replies so far. I've tried both suggestions.

Unfortunately neither of them work offline because I can't download the entire continent of Europe on my iPad due to file size.

What I'm looking for is something far more basic and less detailed.

I've tried finding an AA road Atlas in PDF format without success. The only thing I can think of is laying out a each folding paper map and taking a photos of them.

biker

Post by biker »

Have a look at Navmii you can download it country by country
I AM THAT I AM
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Hello again,

I use Here on my 'phone totally offline when travelling and I only connect it to the internet via my wifi when I think it might be time for updates.

If memory space is a problem then have you thought about;

a. sharing the required data by installing it on to both your iPad plus your mobile phone?

b. only downloading the map/s for the immediate location through which you will be travelling, delete that file and then downloading the next area?

c. I don't use an iPad but my wife does and she use the Apple iCloud system for storing her photos, her package costs less than a £1 per month and she has never come close to needing more space (yet :roll: ), might this be a method?

d. perhaps ViewRanger either on your mobile and/or iPad might be another option?

Maybe somebody else will come along with better suggestions but please let us know how you eventually overcome your problem :!:

TTFN

Hugh.

Ps does anybody know how use the bullet point or number list facility as I can not get it to work other than it putting a single bullet point on the first line of text? :roll:
Ade-G

Post by Ade-G »

Thanks for all the advice.

All of the solutions so far seem to require a wifi signal at some point on the journey to download a new map area or a lot of data storage space on my iPad.

A PDF AA European road map would be an ideal solution. But I'm still struggling to find one. For now, I'm just going to photograph each of my large folding paper maps and have them on my iPad as jpeg images. 10 to 15 jpegs shouldn't take up too much room.

Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

I would try veiw ranger I use this on line or off. the maps you download before going you get a lot of country's and places free at 1,50000 but 1,25000 you have to pay for but works great for me
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

You could try the wikiloc app or OSMAnd?

:D
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TRAVEL”