What's the smallest bike you'd use for a multi-day Euro trip?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
qcnr

Re: What's the smallest bike you'd use for a multi-day Euro trip?

Post by qcnr »

I agree with the summation of the OP. I took my Honda XL600V on a trip to Bad Kissingen from Nhome in Norway,
but was very limited on time. I had to use motorways and my god was that soul destroying. I set off home a day earlier than planned so I didn't have to rush and could use more main roads, back roads etc. This was much better and much less tiring.
I would say that it isn't necessarily the constraints of the bike that limit you, but the amount of time you have available
for your trip, that allows you to define your route and make the most of your journey.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

SteveW wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pmI've got to say that Silver Wing Maggot looks very comfortable, with good weather protection, but I'd not really class it as a small bike (Physically)
It's true that the Silver Wing isn't a physically small bike, however, I assumed that you were talking about small engine size and the fact that they can't cruise at higher top speeds like the larger capacity bikes. The GL (CX in drag) could happily cruise at 80ish but there wasn't much left after that without a struggle.

The GS450 that my girlfriend and I travelled on was small in both capacity and physicality but it wasn't something that I really thought about back then. The GS450 was her bike and we were supposed to be going on my CB400A Hondamatic but it needed too much work before the off. Having recently purchased another 400A, I can't imagine what it would have been like to make the same journey on one of those! Just riding the 30 miles to my current girlfriend's house is exhausting on that bike.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

RichP wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:17 am
SteveW wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am
RichP wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 pm I'm taking my KTM 500 exc on a multiday trip next week along with two mates on CCM 450s. As I speak the bikes are on their way to Bulgaria and we fly out next Monday. Coming back via Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia and Austria using tracks and road. Catching a motor rail train from Vienna to Frankfurt to cut out some of the miles as we've only got a couple of weeks. I've put a Highways Dirt Bike fairing on the bike, had the seat altered and fitted a cush drive rear wheel. Have arranged to do an oil change at a KTM dealer in Montenegro that is approximately half way though. Was going to take my 660 Tenere but thought the KTM would be better off road yet still OK on tarmac - it sits quite happily at 75 mph with plenty left for overtaking.
Rich, what bike insurance have you got in place for Macedonia?
Hi Steve I'm insured by Ageas through Carole Nash. They issued a green card for all the countries without any issue. One of the lads on the CCMs is also with Ageas and didn't have any issues but the other is with Avviva and they wouldn't insure in any non EU member country.
Haha, I'm insured by Aviva through Carol Nash. I couldn't get insurance cover for Macedonia, Bosnia or Albania.
Never mind I thought I'll get insurance at the border (like I've done in the past for Bosnia and also Croatia before they went Mainstream) My original intention was to go from Bulgaria into Macedonia, Albania, then Bosnia, routing through to Croatia.
I got through Bulgarian custom control but couldn't get into Macedonia.
The Macedonian border police explained that up until the week before I could have purchased insurance at the little kiosk next to their office, but the lady insurance agent had been ripping people off by charging €80 when it should have been €50.
They'd found out and closed her office. They were expecting another agent to arrive in a few days.
This was at a small border crossing, the most southerly one between Bulgaria and Macedonia, they explained I could get insurance at the main border crossing 150kms to the north.
I didn't bother and headed north into Serbia.
You couldn't make it up!
RichP

Post by RichP »

SteveW wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:01 pm
RichP wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 pm I'm taking my KTM 500 exc on a multiday trip next week along with two mates on CCM 450s. As I speak the bikes are on their way to Bulgaria and we fly out next Monday. Coming back via Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia and Austria using tracks and road. Catching a motor rail train from Vienna to Frankfurt to cut out some of the miles as we've only got a couple of weeks. I've put a Highways Dirt Bike fairing on the bike, had the seat altered and fitted a cush drive rear wheel. Have arranged to do an oil change at a KTM dealer in Montenegro that is approximately half way though. Was going to take my 660 Tenere but thought the KTM would be better off road yet still OK on tarmac - it sits quite happily at 75 mph with plenty left for overtaking.
Hi Steve I'm insured by Ageas through Carole Nash. They issued a green card for all the countries without any issue. One of the lads on the CCMs is also with Ageas and didn't have any issues but the other is with Avviva and they wouldn't insure in any non EU member country.
Haha, I'm insured by Aviva through Carol Nash. I couldn't get insurance cover for Macedonia, Bosnia or Albania.
Never mind I thought I'll get insurance at the border (like I've done in the past for Bosnia and also Croatia before they went Mainstream) My original intention was to go from Bulgaria into Macedonia, Albania, then Bosnia, routing through to Croatia.
The Macedonian border police explained that up until the week before I could have purchased insurance at the little kiosk next to their office, but the lady insurance agent had been ripping people off by charging €80 when it should have been €50.
They'd found out and closed her office. They were expecting another agent to arrive in a few days.
This was at a small border crossing, the most southerly one between Bulgaria and Macedonia, they explained I could get insurance at the main border crossing 150kms to the north.
You couldn't make it up!
This is a bit concerning! One of lads going is/was going to get insurance at the borders. We are being guided by Captinktm off of this forum through Bulgaria and Macedonia so hopefully he is aware of the situation. Which crossing were you unable to get insurance at? We are going to be a bit pushed for time as it is, the last thing we need is to be messing about at borders!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

RichP wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 pm
You couldn't make it up!
This is a bit concerning! One of lads going is/was going to get insurance at the borders. We are being guided by Captinktm off of this forum through Bulgaria and Macedonia so hopefully he is aware of the situation. Which crossing were you unable to get insurance at? We are going to be a bit pushed for time as it is, the last thing we need is to be messing about at borders!
The border crossing was between Novo Konjarevo (Macedonia) and Petrich (Bulgaria) This was on the 2nd September.
RichP

Post by RichP »

SteveW wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 pm
RichP wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 pm
You couldn't make it up!
The border crossing was between Novo Konjarevo (Macedonia) and Petrich (Bulgaria) This was on the 2nd September.
Thanks for the info
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

boboneleg wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:17 pm Nice one Steve, I'm really pleased that the bike worked well for you. As for me, well you just know it's going to be the donkey

IMG_1838.JPG
Are you sure Bob?
What about the new addition?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

When we did the GYOA trip(offroad) with ADV about 4 years ago I arranged a Green card ( via carol nash I'm sure). -for non EU of course--and used it when crossing into and out of Macedonia by mistake in a matter of 20kms. When we crossed into and out of Albania via small border crossings it wasn't possible to get border insurance--they weren't that bothered--apart from having the original V5. Its possible to find insurance at an "agents" in the nearest town--but time consuming and awkward (not that its worth a lot anyway--simply 3rd party)--I, on the other hand, had no bother with a green card--so if you can, get one-thats my recommendation.

Just to add that I took my Yam WR250 R to Bulgaria and back earlier this year--camped all the way --which means a lot more gear than if you are hotelling it. It coped very well and allowed me to smell the flowers--but it needs to be set up--bigger tank, good panniers etc.
Just returned from 2 weeks camping on the Vezere (just north of the Dordogne)--I used the Triumph tiger 1050--it ate the miles and carried the gear--but I saw lots of tracks and small roads when touring locally that I would have certainly gone up on the WR!--but not on the Tiger--you never know what you are going to find!!
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I think it also depends on who you are going with and what they are riding.
I went touring once on my Triumph Street Triple after the Multistrada had blown up the week before...However, the guys I was going with were on Adventure or Touring bikes and we had planned to spend the first day and last day purely on motorways to get to where we wanted.
When we got to our first nights hotel in mid France I was in tatters. Constantly being buffeted by the wind, my head being thrown around. I felt like I had the worst hangover in the world.
Had I gone with guys who had similar bikes we would have chosen a route off the motorways, stopped more and not done as many miles.
But to answer Steve's original question for me personally I wouldn't like to do it on anything smaller than a 600 as I don't go offroad and weight isn't a major issue. I like to feel the power and torque of the acceleration which makes for more of a relaxing ride.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I think Wayne makes a good point regarding the group being on similar bikes.
On my way home on the Hull ferry I was talking to three chaps who were coming home from a trip on.....a GS1200, a 1200 Multistrada and.......an MZ250. They were all in a bad mood for some reason!
Friendships can be cemented or broken on a multi-day trip!

Return to “TRAVEL”