What's the smallest bike you'd use for a multi-day Euro trip?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
garyboy

Re: What's the smallest bike you'd use for a multi-day Euro trip?

Post by garyboy »

my first response is .. 250cc.
.. got the economy, power to fight uphills and mostly wind, size/comfort, and confidence for its endurance.

but, upon reflection, it is a very complex question .. as shown by the answers so far.

time, distance, company, expectations, destinations, mindset, costs, economy, power, comfort, etc, to name but two :D

.. also there is the age-old question of `offroad` or `not`.. which can completely change the equations.
.. also this would change choice of tyres, and their expectations of use and wear properties.
I noticed that some riders off here, ABR, rode some big bikes down to Spain/Pyrenees/France or wotever, recently .. did some fab trails and then rode back to UK .. brill!! .. that's the way to do it.

But off-road is not for everyone. So if its tarmac only, it makes sense to do it on a larger bike, that will eat the miles, give comfort and power and save time. I know I did it on a 1200, 1000, and 750. .. but my first time was on a 250 .. and that has always been the most memorable! .. perhaps because it was the first time .. but also because the bike was more usable for evening towns and local day trips.

Nowadays though, the big manufacturers are producing bikes, like my NC750, that have power and comfort .. and economy, as well as ease of use and practicality. So the old assumptions are a bit out the window.

Also, there is the 125 phenomenon, that gives excellent economy but still a decent turn of sustained speed well into the 50's?

Then, addressing the question of `how small you would go` .. well, as already answered, it depends on time and mind set. I have had great fun on a 50cc bike .. the comfort was fantastic, and the economy the same.
Its just you live in a different world to say a 1200cc rider.
But that choice of world is yours.
bowber

Post by bowber »

SteveW wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:10 am On my way home on the Hull ferry I was talking to three chaps who were coming home from a trip on.....a GS1200, a 1200 Multistrada and.......an MZ250. They were all in a bad mood for some reason!
Friendships can be cemented or broken on a multi-day trip!
Why? Did they not like the smell of 2 stroke oil :D

Steve
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

bowber wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm
SteveW wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:10 am On my way home on the Hull ferry I was talking to three chaps who were coming home from a trip on.....a GS1200, a 1200 Multistrada and.......an MZ250. They were all in a bad mood for some reason!
Haha, no I don't think the MZ was in front too many times.
Massive difference in cruising speed and comfort.

Steve
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

So many ways to peel a grape.......Vive le difference 8-)
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Given the relative difference in bike performance I'm surprised they didn't just set up a daily meeting points rather than go in procession.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

SteveW wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Steve
I've had a couple of MZs--one for 40k miles--they have big tanks and can cruise all day nearly flat out--70 mph should be possible--tortoise and hare!!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

catcitrus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 pm
SteveW wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Steve
I've had a couple of MZs--one for 40k miles--they have big tanks and can cruise all day nearly flat out--70 mph should be possible--tortoise and hare!!
Me too, a couple of 250's and a 301 with a chair.
Great fun.

Return to “TRAVEL”