Lake District Weekend!!!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
dibbs

Lake District Weekend!!!

Post by dibbs »

Right a few of us are travelling from sunny Essex up to the Lakes for the first time the first week of October and will be based near Ullswater. So after riding up on Friday we will have all day to ride on the Saturday. I would like to see as many of the pretty lakes as possible and any nice villages etc, and we would also be up for a few lanes as well. So has anybody got any ideas on routes or GPX files that they would be willing to share? Hopefully on the Sunday before riding home we will ride the Keilder Forest Ride which is the pay per ride 12mile track near Keilder Castle.
Spike941

Re: Lake District Weekend!!!

Post by Spike941 »

Don't forget to call in at Deano's Cafe when you're down in Coniston.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Deano's café will do..
tefflon

Post by tefflon »

Hi

A one not to miss is hardknott pass and wrynose pass it's a single track roads it's a must do there is a cafe and 2 pubs take your time and don't get to close to each other

Ta steve
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Thanks Steve
I've heard of Hardknott Pass and its on our list, but will check out the other one as well :D
bowber

Post by bowber »

You may find you can't get as much distance covered as you hope, the time of year will help but you still get a lot of slow traffic in the lakes and it can take some getting past, especially at weekends. If you have a very early start you'll get a few hours of quiet roads though.
Hardnott and Wrynose are fun, the tarmac it very rippled from vehicles going over in hot weather, Honister Slate mine and pass, Kirkstone pass as well can be fun. I tend to stay clear of the main A roads and take the small unclassified roads as some of the best scenery and stopping opportunities are to be found on them.

Steve
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Ive had a quick scan of the OS map for that area and there doesn't seem to be hardly any byways around there! but some of the roads do look fantastic. :D
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

smudger272

Post by smudger272 »

Just ride and see where it takes you was there last year with wife rode through from Hadrian s wall trip
Wished I was going . Oh I am going I'm the 3rd rider just follow me Dibbs and keep up coz Karl is no slow coach
As you will find out
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Why not follow section 2 of the trans euro trail uk it goes through the lakes and as lanes etc and the gpx is at transeurotrail.org hardknot pass and wrynose pass are a good ride I've only ever gone south on it thou never north I've done a few of the trails on the u.k section of t.e.t and they have been a good ride yet to do the lakes bit thou if you do it please let me no if it's up to scratch ...
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .

Return to “TRAVEL”