Finance's on your travels

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
vRSG60

Re: Finance's on your travels

Post by vRSG60 »

Tourider wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:57 pm The Halifax Clarity MasterCard was designed for foreign travel. No charges for transactions, business rate of exchange and no charge for drawing cash if you pay it off on the same day.
This.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

be careful when fueling on the pre pay cards, quite a lot of forecourts deduct the maximum amount of fuel on these then debit it back, not much use if you fuel frequently and suddenly find you have no credit and waiting for the card to redebit funds.

steve
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm We had a preloaded card for America a couple of years ago and had 2 problems .....1) not everywhere accepted that card and 2) some hotels charged a deposit which is refunded 10 days later which meant we ran out of credit on that card and when it was refunded we were already back home ...... feckin useless.
Cash and debit card is all I use now.
I was turned away from two places because I didn't have a credit card to pay the deposit, they refused to accept cash or debit.
Africa Twin
sid.

Post by sid. »

Well thanks for all the response's, should of maybe thought about this earlier. Cash and a normal credit card is what I've done before, so i think thats the plan for this trip. And maybe go a different route for the next trip. Cheers sid.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

ollydog wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 pm be careful when fueling on the pre pay cards, quite a lot of forecourts deduct the maximum amount of fuel on these then debit it back, not much use if you fuel frequently and suddenly find you have no credit and waiting for the card to redebit funds.

steve
Eh?
That seems odd, the seller must be up to some illegal tricks.
You still need to authorise the payment surely.
I have had one garage in the US who wanted prepayment for all fuel. Bearing in mind that was in mega affluent Carmel, it seemed odd.

Yes, always have a credit card. They can't guarantee payment from debit cards.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
VR_Rider

Post by VR_Rider »

I use cash and a post office credit card.

I was offered the pre-paid card at the post office a few years back but preferred the credit card. What sold it for me was widely accepted and easy to cancel if stolen. Plus no transaction fees when used abroad.

Thanks,

Dave
MattCrane

Post by MattCrane »

We used cash for general spending and an empty MasterCard just for fuel in France. Didn't have any of this taking the maximum amount then debiting it back and we only refuelled at unmanned pumps.

Heard good things from others on the trip about the Caxton card so may consider one next time we go away.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I use Metro Bank when I'm in Europe or one of their listed countries. It's a Mastercard and 0% on transactions. Never had any issues.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

Santander zero for me. You get the same mid market rate displayed on xe.com and no transaction fees. No monthly fees and nothing hidden.

You get cash back too even from the transactions abroad.

You get to pay for your holiday 30 days later :-)

If you withdraw cash you don't get charged but you do have to pay interest although if your savvy you can pay of your card straight away with internet banking as soon as the transaction shows.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I use a Post office Travel money card and it works great. You can top it up anywhere on your phone and instantly withdraw. It also acts as a little euro nest egg between trips.
Never had a problem with prepay fuel stops either although that might be luck.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “TRAVEL”