CUSTOM CLEARING A BIKE IN USA AND DOCUMENTS

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
palmanova

CUSTOM CLEARING A BIKE IN USA AND DOCUMENTS

Post by palmanova »

Hi all, I am having my bike delivered by air freight into Washington DC in 3 weeks time, for a 5 week trip across America. can anyone shed any light on the clearance process at customs please and let me know if I need any more documentation. I have the following documents in place EPA EXEMPTION LETTER AND EPA FORM 3520-1, BIKE INSURANCE FOR USA, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE (BIKER FRIENDLY), V5, LICENCE, AN ADDRESS FOR FIRST NIGHT, departure day is not far away and I need to be sure. any info would be appreciated from the vast knowledge on this forum, cheers all.....
Old Git Ray

Re: CUSTOM CLEARING A BIKE IN USA AND DOCUMENTS

Post by Old Git Ray »

You appear to all the stuff you need but US customs are like immigration. They are the law and their decision is pretty final.

You may gety a good or a bad one. What may help is a plan of your trip so the officer is convinced that the bike will be exported from the country.

If you have any documentation supporting you freighting back to the UK, that would help.
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

I would assume from the fact you're air freighting the bike in that you're using one of the bike shippers on this side of the pond. If that's the case then I would ask them. I know that there is a form that you MUST get stamped by customs at point of entry, otherwise it's a ballache to get the bike back out at the end, as I know from experience.

If you've used Motofreight, James Cargo or Shippio I'd give them a call. They know the process and the form.

In terms of when you're there and face to face with a customs office, don't assume that they're going to know what you're doing, why you're doing it or that you can in fact do it. Some need to be explained to that it's a temporary import, that's all. You're not registering the bike. You're riding it on its current overseas registration. And with all US officials, just be polite and courteous, even in the face of crass stupidity, and you'll be fine. I find it takes about two hours from arriving at the airport to riding away, but it depends where the freighting company is located in relation to the customs office. Go to the address of the air freighting company first. They'll give you the paperwork to take to customs, and then return to the freighting company with. And have $60 or so handy to pay the freighting company in the first instance.

Have a great trip.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

google wildbad touring, a group of lads who tour allover mainly on vfr,s iam sure richie will sort you out

steve
gspod

Post by gspod »

PM Sgt Bilco on this site - he's your man for this kind of info
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I did the same thing last year. My bike came into JFK.
I got there three days before the bike.
I'd advise you to get to the customs office as soon as it opens to avoid queues.
My experience of getting the bike released was relatively hassle free, I used James Cargo.
It took three months to get it back though.....US Customs just love Red Tape.
palmanova

Post by palmanova »

Thanks for all the info guys, great advice as usual. I am using motofreight so will gather the relavent proof of return address of there logistics in LA. and also have a return flight ticket in place, Cheers guys happy days...

Return to “TRAVEL”