Nordkapp rturn

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Bartty

Nordkapp rturn

Post by Bartty »

Three weeks ago I returned from a trip to Nordkapp in Norway, mainland Europe's most northerly point. As there is no direct ferry from the UK to Norway, my preferred option was to take the overnight ferry from Harwich to the Hook, then into northern Germany, followed by Denmark. As I used to be a frequent visitor to Copenhagen, I chose to stop by the city, then continue up to Elsenborg and catch the ferry across to Sweden, from there it was up to Oslo and that's where the fun began.
For about two thirds of it's length, Norway is a fairly narrow country and there are few routes heading north, but none disappointed. Commercial traffic use the E6, which for most of it's length (a couple of hundred miles beyond Oslo) is single carriageway, with the odd dual or shared overtaking lane thrown in. Running parallel to the west and straddling the Arctic Circle is route 17, which takes you up to Bodo, the jumping off point for the Lofoten Islands. I used this route for part of it's 433kms length, which included two ferries.
The Norwegians have designated 18 tourist routes across the country and these can be found at www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en Needless to say, I tried to take in as many as I could when planning my route. The one disappointment is the Atlantic Road, which is impressive from an engineering perspective, but very short (even at half throttle).
Whilst London was basking in +30 deg temperatures, I was riding in 3 deg (so probably around zero at speed), with snow still visible on higher ground. My preparations for lower temperatures didn't go far enough and some thermal additions were required. My heavier Gor-tex gloves were included for the wetter days, but saw daylight for most of my time in Norway.
In brief my experiences were; very expensive (the only negative when including beer in the comment), very nice people, the landscape is indescribable, the mid-night sun allows you to ride for longer or slower, petrol stations appear in the most remotest of places, with most being 24hrs, coffee available everywhere (please refer to first point), considering their winter climate, the road surfaces were very good. However on this point the E6 is being widened in many places, with very very long traffic controlled sections. Easier on a bike, but still slow. Also at these sections the road surface is very "off-road". You could feel the tension from the sports bike riders as they passed.
After nearly four weeks I left Norway, bound for Denmark and the slog back to the UK.
Bike - R1200GSA
Time - 5 weeks
Distance 5,996 miles
Ferries - too many to mention
Tunnels - too many to mention
Bridges - too many to mention
Fjords - too many to mention
The purpose of the trip was to give me a focus after winding down my business. I planned and re planned every stage, including hotels. It has been said to me, "didn't that take the spontaneity out of the trip", but riding alone and for the first time on a trip like this spontaneity can sometimes mean a negative experience.
As for what do I do now? Well that's easy, I'm buying a small tent with a view to touring Spain in March / April and returning to Norway (maybe with tent) next June. Wish me well.
Bartty
PS, tried to post photos, not appreciating there is a limit. Tried to edit but it won't allow a re-post.
PPS, great magazine, only came across it last week.
WillS

Re: Nordkapp rturn

Post by WillS »

Sounds a nice trip, and a good distance covered. (thumbs)
Posting photographs on this forum is an art, a complex art that seems to have its own logic!! Never worked it out, sometimes they post and other times not, even if you follow the same procedure. :woohoo:
yoda

Post by yoda »

Sounds like great trip, thanks for posting, hopefully you'll get some of the pics on here, i'd like to see them (thumbs)
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

My photos need re-sizing, so once complete, I'll re-post.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

http://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/norwegia ... transport/
just in case you decide to go again (thumbs)
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

Cheers, will definitely call them as have decided to go again.
uturntony

Post by uturntony »

Redmurty wrote:http://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/norwegia ... transport/

just in case you decide to go again (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
A few weeks ago the quote for two bikes Manchester to Oslo and return was £695 per bike.
One way Manchester to Oslo came in at £525

Actually i have just realised that this quote was from JamesCargo and not Eurobiketrans.
Allan F

Post by Allan F »

Thanks for the report. Good luck with the business . Keep us posted as to how it goes. Would love to do the same. Get rid of mine. Now turned 60, time to go & live life.
Regards Allan
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

Thanks for the info. I did a quick tally of what I spent getting to Oslo and it came to £711, which included fuel, hotels, ferries and food / beer. Distance 1085 miles. If I took the route back home, I would have saved a bit, but whichever way £695 return seems good value, assuming you have budget flights?
Have you ridden through Norway before?
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

Winding a business up is painfully slow if staying within the tax concessions.
I think the health service focus's too much on the negative aspects of motorcycling and not on the therapeutic benefits. Can't recommend a long trip highly enough.

Return to “TRAVEL”