Campbeltown to Fort William

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Monster

Campbeltown to Fort William

Post by Monster » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi all
Doing a 2 week tour of the west coast of Scotland in late August
We will be hitting the Outer Hebrides and also Skye whilst wandering westerly
Adrossan to Campbeltown ferry is booked already with a stay at Craigard House as we arrive about 930pm
The following day we are riding from Campbeltown to Fort William with plenty of time to play around in the Glencoe area and also create an interesting route for all to enjoy
The question is ... when leaving Campbeltown should one ride the east or west coast road (as we can't do both obviously). West coast A83 seems a faster road but what about the B842? We usually end up taken the road less travelled anyway TBH
Interested to hear what the locals or the experienced say on this one
Thanks
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
crofty

Re: Campbeltown to Fort William

Post by crofty » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:10 pm

I haven't done the east coast road for a number of years and I have only ever cycled it. The times I have done it the surface was poor,degenerating almost to a dirt track in places with numerous potholes and corrugations , added to that it has lots of very steep hills I excess of 20% as I recall. It would be fine on a light trailie but maybe not so much fun on a large heavily laden tourer. It also might have been resurfaced recently which would make a huge difference. Give Craigard house a call and see what they say about it.

Monster

Post by Monster » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks for the reply
I just "drove" sections of both via Google maps and I see what you mean
Neither is a massive 4 lane section but both look good & have lovely sea views
Likely that we take the west side ... but then again .. who knows?

Boggs

Post by Boggs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Ive done both,the A83 is the better choice imo,great for the views and i loved the sweeping flowing layout of it,we rode down the B842 to Campbeltown from Claonaig as we'd sailed over from Arran i can't remember anything outstanding about the B842 but the A83 definitley left an impression on me,apart from us their was nobody on it from start to finish.
(thumbs)

IainD

Post by IainD » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Almost local, it is one of the weekend routes round Argyle, but to be fair not been down to Campbeltown for a few years as it is a bit of a dead end.
I would stick to the A83.
The real question is where to go from Lochgilphead?
You can go north towards Oban (taking a detour to Crinnan, where there is a nice cafe at the canal basin) then either continue to Oban then Left to Tyndrum at Connel, on or go up the East Side of Loch Awe then on to Tyndrum.
Or
Stay on the A83 round to Inveraray, then hang a left over the hill and join the Loch Awe road turning right to Tyndrum.
Or
Stay on the A83 all the way to Tarbet (Loch Lomand) then up the Lochside, to, you guessed it Tyndrum.
All these routes will take you to Glencoe from the South.
There are usually speed traps at the weekends anywhere between Lochgilphead and Tarbet. Most used spots are between Inveraray and Tarbet where the locals hoon about. Just past he turn-off to Dunoon. Along the straight to the Rest and be thankful hairpin. Straight just before 40 Zone into Arrochar and a Couple of spots inside the 30 Zone at Tarbet.
Enjoy.

yoda

Post by yoda » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Was out for a ride that way myself last sept, put some pics on here if the link will work ok, did the A83 and the b road, A83 more interesting, but the b roads ok some good veiws in place and Carradale harbours a nice little place for a stop.
www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/25-rid ... 0&start=10
www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/25-rid ... -mull.html
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.

Monster

Post by Monster » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks people ... always open to ideas and suggestions for sights or must-do roads
Regards

sven

Post by sven » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:56 am

Lochgilphead to Oban is a spectacular biking road if you like twisties (thumbs)

CBSTD

Post by CBSTD » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:04 am

A83 will be busier, logging lorrys, motor homes possible option would be take the Leacainn forest drive over to loch Awe, starts a Auchdrain near Furnace Yoda of this parish, has pics in his ride report
Me karma ranover me dogma

Return to “TRAVEL”