How do you cross the Channel?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
ollydog

Re: How do you cross the Channel?

Post by ollydog »

tunnel every time now, pisser driving or riding down from stockport but its quickest even going to holland,
if iam in the van head down at clackett lane for a few hours kip or cross and head down at le napoleon for a few hours then off to where ever.
but just to add, a boat trip really feels like you are going away though
steve
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Always P&O to either Rotterdam or Zeebrugge and tailor the trip to suit.
Try to get a deal by booking with with the user who's on UKGSers.
A tip with P&O - 4 berth cabins cost the same as a 2 berth, so if you want extra room get a 4 berth.
The journey down to the Channel is a right ball ache.
In a month it's down to Portsmouth but we've no alternative to get to Bilbao.
I've done Portsmouth Cherbourg before now but in a car.
Oh & I prefer the Rotterdam route. The ferry sets off later, arrives earlier, no mezzanine floor to negotiate & the cabins are bigger.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

With "Trepidation" what with brexit and all :laugh:
micksea

Post by micksea »

should add,i got a season ticket from p&o this year,£216 for 6 single crossings which have to be used in twelve months.only for cars though,not vans or bikes
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

SteveW wrote:Because I live in North West England, when I'm heading to Central /Eastern Europe my preferred channel crossing is Hull - Zeebrugge.
Even on a bike it's a bit pricey. £200+ one way next month
Hull to Dover is 520 miles, return. 13 gallons of fuel at 40mpg, or 60 litres. 70 odd quid just in fuel. A tenth of a rear tyre getting squared off, and a tenth of a service interval. 2 days lost of your holiday instead of letting the ferry take the strain while you sleep. And extra 500 miles depreciation on your bike, a quarter of the annual mileage allowed on some PCP deals. And it still costs you £60 to get through the Eurotunnel.

£200 is a no brainer.

Unless you are going to plan a nice no motorway route down through Lincolnshire towards London, and make those two days an enjoyable part of your holiday, but most people would spend those two days on the A1(M)/M25/M20
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

All I see is about an extra of at least £180-200 for going from Hull via Dover [but no mention if there is extra driving distance on the other side], as against £400 for Hull.

However the Hull option presumably gives you a night sleep and fresh start next day. I used to have the same dilemma, use the ferry that's beside me or travel 125 miles to Rosslare for a ferry that also got in 3 hours later. Best option for feeling fresh was the one near me. But it leaves here Saturday and leaves France Friday night meaning you lose Sunday and Friday and only get one weekend. Solution in the end was to go for 3 weeks and chill out on the ferry.

I would go the Hull option, mostly because I also like to maximise my time on the ground after getting off the ferry.

Out of the box thinking....add the £400 to the holiday fund and B&B Wales Scotland or even Ireland.!!!!
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Depends how close you live to Hull, if you have 100 miles to get there, then you might as well head 100 miles South instead, but Zeebrugge to Lille is less than 60 miles.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

-Ralph- wrote:
SteveW wrote:Because I live in North West England, when I'm heading to Central /Eastern Europe my preferred channel crossing is Hull - Zeebrugge.
Even on a bike it's a bit pricey. £200+ one way next month
Hull to Dover is 520 miles, return. 13 gallons of fuel at 40mpg, or 60 litres. 70 odd quid just in fuel. A tenth of a rear tyre getting squared off, and a tenth of a service interval. 2 days lost of your holiday instead of letting the ferry take the strain while you sleep. And extra 500 miles depreciation on your bike, a quarter of the annual mileage allowed on some PCP deals. And it still costs you £60 to get through the Eurotunnel.

£200 is a no brainer.

Okay, It's an extra 200 miles to Folkestone for me. I've got a GSA800, with a 300 mile tank range. I've got a local fuel account through my business so I fill up before I leave....for free.
I'm also 90% (early!) retired so my holidays can be as long as I like.
I'm only travelling one way, I'm meeting my wife (who's flying out to our house in Bulgaria) I'm unsure if I'll fly back with her or ride back.
The other stuff, Like tyres and servicing, okay it's more miles but I'm not bothered, the bike isn't on a PCP.
The tunnel is only £34, plus there's loads of crossings everyday so I can cross at a time that suits me.
Yes, I'll take a leisurely ride down England rather than smashing the motorways.
Having said all that I do use the Hull crossing more than the tunnel when I'm heading East.
But I thought I'd do it this way this time, particularly as I'm on my own, so the bar on the ferry isn't such a big draw and I can take my time on route.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

From here the Port of Dover is on the 'Highway to Hell'; Portsmouth or Poole makes a far more enjoyable ride . Saying that, next month I'm booked on the Harwich-HvH boat so a ride across the Cotswolds-Duxford-Cambridgeshire Levels is in order; the ride to the ferry is part of the adventure (thumbs)
bowber

Post by bowber »

Me and my wife much prefer Portsmouth to Dover, far easier to get to and no M25 ring road to park on for a few hours.
Hull or Newcastle are both closer and we're just having the dilemma at the moment for a trip early August (high season), for 2 bikes, 1 cabin we're looking at £550+ for Newcastle and £400+ for Hull but the trip down the UK is through some of the worst roads and I just find it tiring these days so it'll be Hull/Zeebrugge for us I think, but we're also heading to the Black forest so it makes more sense for us.
Steve

Return to “TRAVEL”