Norway

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Spike941
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Norway

Post by Spike941 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:54 am

If you wait for the ferry to be re-introduced, I doubt you'll ever go. I did it last year after thinking I same. It's a 2 day 1,000 mile slog upto the Norwegian border from the Cotswolds via the tunnel, but well worth when you get there. I looked at all other options, but whichever you choose, you ain't really going to get there any quicker. Don't think about, just do it. Norway must be the best catered for country for touring.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Saint rob
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am
Location: St Helens
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Norway

Post by Saint rob » Thu May 18, 2017 5:33 pm

OB1 wrote:I did the run up to Nordkapp last August.

Image

I'd rather ride than sit on a ferry so I went from Harwich to Hook of Holland, through Germany, Denmark, Sweden and into Norway 2,200 miles door-to-door. Then back through Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany and the Netherlands for a total of just over 4,500 miles in 10 days.

Now I just need to go back with more time to see all the things I missed!
Could you PM me the route that you took and any info on where you got to each day please, it would be a big help as at the minute all I know is that I want to get to Telemark, the fjords, atlantic highway and Nord Kapp. I've not sussed how to get back or which way round to go yet, but I've got 12 months to do that (figure it out that is)

User avatar
lancashirelad
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: East Lancs
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Norway

Post by lancashirelad » Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 pm

We've been twice in the wifes MG first time we drove up via Denmark, then ferry, second time the Harwich-Esjberg ferry was still operating so we went via that but still had to go to Hirtshalls for the ferry to Norway & to be honest l enjoyed the drive up experience best, hoping to go again in 2019 but l doubt there will ever be a direct ferry again most folk seem to want to cruise to Norway most of our friends thought we were barmy driving there to be honest.
I've to start again now buying & fitting all the bits I had on the previous cb500x!!! :D

User avatar
WIBO
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:37 pm
Location: French Pyrénées
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 615 times

Re: Norway

Post by WIBO » Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Always good to get an update opinion.
Thanks
:)
Will It Buff Out?









The Suit:What would you consider to be your greatest weakness?

Me: Honesty.

The Suit: Honesty? I don't think honesty could be construed as a weakness.

Me: I don't give a f**k what you think.

qcnr
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 am
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Norway

Post by qcnr » Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 am

Don't forget the west coast is the most spectacular part of Norway, but try and stay off the E-39 where possible.
Google Preikestolen, Kjerag, Lysebotn camping, Sogndalstrand.
THere are loads of nice campsites as well as wild camping is allowed. You'll need to plan a route. Bear in mind road conditions and speed limits in Norway. Aim for an average speed of 50Km/h.

User avatar
SHarper
Posts: 884
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 am
Location: Sheffield
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Norway

Post by SHarper » Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 am

Spike941 wrote:If you wait for the ferry to be re-introduced, I doubt you'll ever go. I did it last year after thinking I same. It's a 2 day 1,000 mile slog upto the Norwegian border from the Cotswolds via the tunnel, but well worth when you get there. I looked at all other options, but whichever you choose, you ain't really going to get there any quicker. Don't think about, just do it. Norway must be the best catered for country for touring.
If/when I return to Norway, it'll be to explore the Western coast and I probably wouldn't bother going any further North than the Lofotens then I'd do the reverse of route home from last year; overnight Hull -> Rotterdam, bimble 370 miles across Germany to Kiel and then overnight ferry (cruise) Kiel to Oslo.
If I were returning to Nordkapp, I'd use the route we went by, Hull -> Rotterdam, easy day's ride to Travemunde and then a long ferry ride (27 hours) to Helsinki; when you get off the ferry you're only(!) a thousand miles from your goal. If you are bothering with Nordkapp, have a ride to the Russian border and turn left, you ride alongside a river that forms the Norway/Russian border and end up being able to have a paddle in the Arctic Ocean...

IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG (59.22 KiB) Viewed 257 times

User avatar
OB1
Posts: 2578
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk
Has thanked: 477 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Norway

Post by OB1 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 am

Saint rob wrote:Could you PM me the route that you took and any info on where you got to each day please, it would be a big help as at the minute all I know is that I want to get to Telemark, the fjords, atlantic highway and Nord Kapp. I've not sussed how to get back or which way round to go yet, but I've got 12 months to do that (figure it out that is)
PM sent! (thumbs)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
https://ob1uk.wordpress.com

Saint rob
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am
Location: St Helens
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Norway

Post by Saint rob » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 am

OB1 wrote:
Saint rob wrote:Could you PM me the route that you took and any info on where you got to each day please, it would be a big help as at the minute all I know is that I want to get to Telemark, the fjords, atlantic highway and Nord Kapp. I've not sussed how to get back or which way round to go yet, but I've got 12 months to do that (figure it out that is)
PM sent! (thumbs)
Great info Thanks David

Milo Tighfield
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:13 pm

Re: Norway

Post by Milo Tighfield » Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Just seen this. Thanks for posting, I should be walking to the top of the Pulpit Rock on Monday 24th July :woohoo: hopefully the weather will be OK (thumbs)

qcnr
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 am
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Norway

Post by qcnr » Mon May 22, 2017 5:32 am

Get there early!!!
If not and the weather is good you could risk walking in a queue. And if you are
feeling very adventurous you could set off before sunrise, and watch the day breaking
from the top. The other option is to walk up late evening and camp, to get up in time for sunrise.

Post Reply

Return to “TRAVEL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 84 guests