Information on Countries

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
IainD

Information on Countries

Post by IainD »

I enjoy reading the "Riding in France, Germany, Morocco etc. questions, but wonder if it would be possible to have a subset of pages somewhere within the site specifically where riding, political (NO NOT BREXIT!), Law, B+B, Vignette / Carnet, Routes etc. information could be stored for browsing on a country by country basis. Perhaps on a Wiki type platform where it could be user edited when known to be wrong (may be a step too far)?

It must be simpler than regurgitating the same info every month or so, especially as it seems to vary a bit...

Any thoughts from the populous / Mods?
Mike54

Re: Information on Countries

Post by Mike54 »

it exists already. its call theAA.com
IainD

Post by IainD »

Mike54 wrote:it exists already. its call theAA.com
Sorry, my fault; I should have said helpful thoughts. The AA is hardly a source of personal knowledge.

This is the AA Website at present...
AA.JPG
AA.JPG (23.31 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

Mike 54 is probably right, you'd be a fool to rely on a forum for legal advice after all, the "information" and "facts" would only be opinions. The best place for general stuff is the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website for advice on visiting a country. Specific driving/bike matters are probably best addressed by the Tourist Office/Government website of the country you are visiting.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

IainD wrote:
Mike54 wrote:it exists already. its call theAA.com
Sorry, my fault; I should have said helpful thoughts. The AA is hardly a source of personal knowledge.
Ok so they're doing maintenance at night, big deal.

Why would you rely on a forum for your legal advice? RAC and AA have all this info, wind your neck in.
IainD

Post by IainD »

The point was to possibly try and collate the questions that are regularly asked and sometimes mis-answered (bulbs, high vis, B+B, what do do if stopped, good / bad hotel) and get the correct information in one place.

Not write a tour guide; just pull together the some "useful stuff".

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to solely rely on some of the answers on forums (then again) before going off round the world or even popping over a local border.

Yes AA have info as do many other sites and of course legal advice is better from a solicitor, but that isn't personal, anecdotal, or fun.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Check out the TET page when it's released next month. A lot of us have put in a lot of work -and we live here ... (thumbs)

Regs

Simom
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
XTChris

Post by XTChris »

In addition to the AA/RAC and FCO you could also visit the HUBB at www.horizonsunlimited.com

Mountains of information on specific regions/countries etc
Speedofile

Post by Speedofile »

I think what Ian is trying to say is that its always better to get information from people that have actually been to a country and their personal experience and tips are always better than most websites.

Anyone going to South Africa and Namibia, get in touch and I'll share what I can from personal experience.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

I think it's a good idea, I put a very similar idea to the site management so that it could be built into the menu's or something quite a while ago via e-mail, never heard a thing back :(

Harv

Return to “TRAVEL”