Switzerland Tips?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
oilfieldtrash

Switzerland Tips?

Post by oilfieldtrash »

We've booked the Channel Tunnel and have packed tents. No plans other than we're heading for Switzerland then Monaco.

We'd like to take in a Mountain Pass or two. Does anyone have any inside knowledge on where to head for?

Any nice towns or routes?
Where to stay?

I've done the usual research, but would prefer to hear it first hand from people who had been there.

Thanks.

John
viince

Re: Switzerland Tips?

Post by viince »

stop at Interlakan
manor park camping if not full
then you can go up the grimsel pass then down the furka
on to martignyover the grande st Bernard back to Chamonix via Italy :)
then on to Monaco via some other passes not sure what lies between Chamonix and monaco
I'm sure someone will poo poo this :P :P :P
but just a suggestion (thumbs)
but this is similar to what iv'e done over the years (thumbs)

cheers vince
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
skinny

Post by skinny »

Hi buddy, lake Geneva look for the brown sign's-- route Dr grande Alps, take you all the way down to Menton, a dozen or so excellent passes, route Napoleon on the way back, tick more boxes than most, and loads of smile's, good campsites all the way down, when you going? Monaco grand Prix coming up, could be busy! Skinny
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

+ 1 for Interlaken stayed there loads of time , I usually stay at the Lazy Rancho camp site ,the owners are very friendly , one time I was there someone had reversed a trailer over my tent while I was out. Totally destroying my tent .
Stephan one of the owners put me up in one of their spear chalet that they use for staff in the high season & only charged me price of a tent pitch , + Stephan found out who the driver was & got me compensation for my tent.
As for routes as already said Grimsel ,sustain ,furka passes are great .

Plus don't forget to have a go at paragliding while your there.
Enjoy your trip .

Ian.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Make sure you have a healthy overdraft facility or a high credit limit on a card/cards, that's my advice for Switzerland.
hornet

Post by hornet »

switzerland is expensive but if you make smart choices its affordable.

We stayed at interlaken we stayed at campsite Talaker very nice if you stay in Interlaken you can get a ticket to go up one of the trains half price also thee is a waterfall inside a mountain which is in the valley of a hundred waterfalls where we watched Base jumpers doing their thing. From interlaken you can ride a truly epic days ride including susten pass furka pass and grimsel pass I'd say it's one of the great days riding.Best done on a weekday weekends can get a little crazy.

In part's of the north it's not all stunning scenery if you come down through Germany on the B500 the way down we chose was probably less fun than other routes. come down and across through the French side will probably be nicer.

One thing to know is, it can take a long time to get to places because of the nature of the riding and the road layout be sure to have maps the Michelin regional ones worked well for me.

Have fun
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
viince

Post by viince »

hornet wrote:switzerland is expensive but if you make smart choices its affordable
Mike
as mike said (thumbs)

we've just booked 7 nights in Interlaken mid june
with canvas holidays
two bed, two bog one bathroom comfort mobile home on manor farm :lol:
for a wallet busting wait for it :woohoo:
£286.00.
one night in Germany in a maxi tent on way down
£26.00.
one night in a mobile home on way home
£41.00.
grand total £286.00
which if you divide that for four people
that's £71.50 each for nine nights
for fear of upsetting the tent brigade
at that price why camp :P :P :P
nearly as cheap as camping and much more comfortable :P
cheap as chips
in relative comfort
and no tent or excessive luggage to carry
don't forget they have sites all over Europe
so to travel it doesn't have to cost the earth

cheers vince (thumbs)
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I've stayed in Andermatt a couple of times. I stayed in a hotel once for 4 nights and then in August last year we camped in Andermatt.
It's a nice little place with all the famous passes pretty much on your doorstep. You are also only about an hours ride away from Italy so having a ride around Lake Como is fantastic.
On the way down we stayed the first night in Baden Baden then came down the B500 and went to the Rhine Falls. Then got into Andermatt for 5 ish.
It was August and the campsite was only £7 per night. However the food when we ate out was expensive.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
oilfieldtrash

Post by oilfieldtrash »

Thanks folks! Much appreciated. Like I said, I'd rather hear it first hand than from the travel guide. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
John
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

I usually stay at Jungfrau right which is 20 mins from Interlaken and find it much nicer.

They light the cliffs behind you at night and you can sit with a brew watching the base jumpers.

Do be aware that Switzerland has got a lot more expensive in the last year or so but shopping at the Lidl on the edge of Inetrlaken will see you right if you are happy to cook for yourselves.

Return to “TRAVEL”